[comp.os.os2.misc] Cut/Paste from a PM Window?

ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au (06/10/91)

Here is what is probably a silly question, but I am almost at my
wits end on this.

How do I copy/cut and paste in a PM window?  I am not talking about
in an editor, such as the sytem editor, but a standard command window.
For example, I might wish to take text from one window to the
other as part of a command string, or paste part of a directory
output into the editor, etc.

I also can't seem to get the Mark command to do more than highlight some
text.

Can someone help out, please?

Dr Mark Kosten,        phone: +61 3 479-2767
Computer Centre,       AARNet (internet): ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au
La Trobe University,   X.25 (PSI): 05052347300000::ccmk
Bundoora, 3083
Australia

Mahoney@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Mahoney) (06/12/91)

In an article of <10 Jun 91 03:43:41 GMT>, ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:

 cA>How do I copy/cut and paste in a PM window?  I am not talking about
 cA>in an editor, such as the sytem editor, but a standard command
 cA>window.

   You don't say which release of OS/2 you're running. On 1.2 there was a program floating around that enabled cut and paste. On 1.3 you had to mark some text, then hold down the left-shift key when you selected copy and that would enable the paste option in all subsequent windows. In 1.30.1 they're all there by default.
--
Mike Mahoney - via FidoNet node 1:300/14
UUCP: uunet...!noao!coyote!emdisle!Mahoney

Chuck@watson.ibm.com (Charles M. Oriot) (06/13/91)

In <1991Jun10.134341.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:

>How do I copy/cut and paste in a PM window?  I am not talking about
>in an editor, such as the sytem editor, but a standard command window.
>For example, I might wish to take text from one window to the
>other as part of a command string, or paste part of a directory
>output into the editor, etc.
>
>I also can't seem to get the Mark command to do more than highlight some
>text.

To copy, go in the system menu, choose Mark, then mark the part of text
you want.  Then choose Copy from the system menu.

To paste, I know there is a magic manipulation to have the Paste item
in the system menu, but I can't remember what it is.  Somebody here
should know.

              /                                          /|
             +------------------------------------------+ |
             | Charles M. Oriot                         | |
             | IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center     | |

mikem@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun10.134341.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au> ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:
>Here is what is probably a silly question, but I am almost at my
>wits end on this.
>
>How do I copy/cut and paste in a PM window?  I am not talking about
>in an editor, such as the sytem editor, but a standard command window.
>For example, I might wish to take text from one window to the
>other as part of a command string, or paste part of a directory
>output into the editor, etc.
>
>I also can't seem to get the Mark command to do more than highlight some
>text.
>
>Can someone help out, please?

All control windows in PM support the clipboard by default. By control
windows, I mean entry fields, combo boxes, Multiple Line Entry (MLE).

This means you can cut and copy text between any such window. (I find
this handy when I type into the wrong entry field). To perform a
clipboard action between control windows, use the *keyboard* accelerators.

The accelerators are:
Cut    Shift+Del
Copy   Ctrl+Ins
Paste Shift+Ins

If you forget, these are listed on the Edit pulldown of the system editor.

Regards,

Michael R. MacFaden    IBM Palo Alto     Marketing Systems
mikem@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com, macfaden@paloic1.vnet.ibm.com
disclaimer:  what I write above is not necessarily my employer's opinion

boegehol@az3.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Harald Boegeholz) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.182853.11746@watson.ibm.com> Chuck@watson.ibm.com (Charles M. Oriot) writes:

   >How do I copy/cut and paste in a PM window?  I am not talking about

   To paste, I know there is a magic manipulation to have the Paste item
   in the system menu, but I can't remember what it is.  Somebody here
   should know.

The magic manipulation works as follows:
Open the system menu of a text window. Press (and hold) Shift.
Select Mark. Release Shift (of course).
From then on, all _new_ text windows you open will have a Paste
item in their system menu. This does _not_ affect the window you used
to enable the Paste item.

When you use the Shift/mark trick, OS/2 creates an entry called
Paste under the key VioShield in the OS2.INI file. This entry
will stay there forever, so do it once and forget it.

Harald
--
Harald Boegeholz |Home:       hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org (read daily)

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/13/91)

In <1991Jun12.182853.11746@watson.ibm.com>, Chuck@watson.ibm.com (Charles M. Oriot) writes:

>In <1991Jun10.134341.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:
>
>>How do I copy/cut and paste in a PM window?  I am not talking about
>>in an editor, such as the sytem editor, but a standard command window.
>>For example, I might wish to take text from one window to the
>>other as part of a command string, or paste part of a directory
>>output into the editor, etc.
>>
>>I also can't seem to get the Mark command to do more than highlight some
>>text.
>
>To copy, go in the system menu, choose Mark, then mark the part of text
>you want.  Then choose Copy from the system menu.
>
>To paste, I know there is a magic manipulation to have the Paste item
>in the system menu, but I can't remember what it is.  Somebody here
>should know.

The black magic needed to get paste in the system menu of a command
prompt is this:

1)  Press Alt-Space to display the system menu.
2)  Use the ARROW KEYS to go to "Mark"
3)  Press Ctrl-Enter

The next windowed command prompt *should* have paste in the system menu.
If it doesn't, someone send me a note, and I'll verify it on someone's
system (I've already done it on my two machines).

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

michael@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Michael MacFarland) (06/17/91)

Does any know of a utility that will allow you to capture the screen when
using the OS/2 LAN Requester version 1.3?  We are trying to write documen-
tation and would like to be able to use images rather than having to type
a "look-alike" or photocopy print-screens as part of the document.  We could
use a scanner, but that is not ideal either.

We currently have a copy of a shareware program for PM called Clip.exe, but
it will not capture text or work in the full screen interface, so far as we
can tell.  Since the LAN Requester cannot be run in the OS/2 Window mode,
we have not been able to get the Paste function, that works in the Window,
to work either.  (Thanks for the earlier comments that helped us to get that
far...we just need more.)

Michael MacFarland
Michael@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey,159 Physics,(306) 966-4826,(306) 249-3232) (06/17/91)

From article <1991Jun17.003715.29511@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, by michael@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Michael MacFarland):

> We currently have a copy of a shareware program for PM called Clip.exe, but
> it will not capture text or work in the full screen interface, so far as we
> can tell.  Since the LAN Requester cannot be run in the OS/2 Window mode,
> we have not been able to get the Paste function, that works in the Window,
> to work either.  (Thanks for the earlier comments that helped us to get that
> far...we just need more.)

I have a program called SCAPTURE.ZIP on my Fidonet BBS, ((306) 966-4857,
fidonet node 1:140/43, HST Dual standard modem.)  This program takes a
"snapshot" of a full-screen and dumps that screen to a file on the disk.
Perhaps that would come in handy for you.  If you still need the cut and paste
to a PM program, you can edit this file with the OS/2 "E" editor, and then
cut and paste from there.

This program may be available via FTP.  I suggest that before you call my BBS,
use the ARCHIE database to search for this file.  eg:

% telnet quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
login: archie
       ~~~~~~
archie> prog scapture

That should tell you of any FTP sites which have it (if any).

- Kevin Lowey

Mahoney@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Mahoney) (06/18/91)

In an article of <17 Jun 91 00:37:15 GMT>, michael@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Michael MacFarland) writes:

 MM>Does any know of a utility that will allow you to capture the
 MM>screen when using the OS/2 LAN Requester version 1.3?  We are trying  MM>to write documentation and would like to be able to use images rather  MM>than having to type a "look-alike" or photocopy print-screens as part  MM>of the document.

   A fairly simple work-around to this is to put your print queue on hold and use the shift-prtsc keys to dump a copy of the screen to the printer. Then go into c:\spool\queue or whatever your queue name is and copy the result out of the nnnnn.spl file that resulted from your print screen.