[comp.os.os2.misc] Installing 1.2 or 1.3

gavin@praxis.co.uk (Gavin Finnie) (06/14/91)

I have a couple of questions about upgrading from OS/2 1.1 (SE).

1. I currently running OS/2 1.1 and am planning to upgrade to 1.2 or 1.3.
   Can I go straight to 1.3 or do I have to install 1.2 first?

2. I would like to install HPFS, but would also like to retain my existing
   files within the old filing system, transferring these selectively to
   HPFS at my leisure.
   Is there a way of installing 1.2 (or 1.3) that will allow me to do this?
   (Yes, of course, I have backups of my existing files, but I'd rather not be
   *forced* to resort to these)

Gavin Finnie                             email:  gavin@praxis.co.uk
Praxis Systems plc
20 Manvers Street                        phone: +44-225-444700
Bath BA1 1PX, England                    fax:   +44-225-465205

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/18/91)

In <1991Jun14.113032.11427@praxis.co.uk>, gavin@praxis.co.uk (Gavin Finnie) writes:

>I have a couple of questions about upgrading from OS/2 1.1 (SE).
>
>1. I currently running OS/2 1.1 and am planning to upgrade to 1.2 or 1.3.
>   Can I go straight to 1.3 or do I have to install 1.2 first?

You can go straight to 1.3.

>2. I would like to install HPFS, but would also like to retain my existing
>   files within the old filing system, transferring these selectively to
>   HPFS at my leisure.
>   Is there a way of installing 1.2 (or 1.3) that will allow me to do this?
>   (Yes, of course, I have backups of my existing files, but I'd rather not be
>   *forced* to resort to these)

You HAVE to reformat the drive and specify that you want it to be HPFS in
order to use it, so you will have to backup/restore.  :(

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

ian@watson.ibm.com (06/19/91)

In <1991Jun14.113032.11427@praxis.co.uk>, gavin@praxis.co.uk (Gavin Finnie) writes:

>I have a couple of questions about upgrading from OS/2 1.1 (SE).
>
>1. I currently running OS/2 1.1 and am planning to upgrade to 1.2 or 1.3.
>   Can I go straight to 1.3 or do I have to install 1.2 first?
>
>2. I would like to install HPFS, but would also like to retain my existing
>   files within the old filing system, transferring these selectively to
>   HPFS at my leisure.
>   Is there a way of installing 1.2 (or 1.3) that will allow me to do this?
>   (Yes, of course, I have backups of my existing files, but I'd rather not be
>   *forced* to resort to these)
>
>Gavin Finnie                             email:  gavin@praxis.co.uk
>Praxis Systems plc
>20 Manvers Street                        phone: +44-225-444700
>Bath BA1 1PX, England                    fax:   +44-225-465205

1.    As far as I am aware, you can go straight from 1.1 to 1.3.

2.    Converting from FAT to HPFS or vice versa requires a format of the
      partition.  Thus it is impossible to convert from one format to
      another without losing the data in the partition.  Some form of
      backup/restore is mandatory.  It is also impossible to "shrink" a
      partition dynamically.  You would have to delete the large partition
      and then reallocate as two smaller ones.  This also causes a total
      loss of all data.

Ian Stirling

* Ian Stirling                 * VNET:     STIRLING at WINVMB             *
* CICS/ESA Systems Facilities  * Internet: STIRLING@WINVMB.VNET.IBM.COM   *
* IBM UK Labs Ltd, Hursley, UK * TCP/IP:   IAN@STIRLING.IS.HUSLEY.IBM.COM *
Disclaimer:  All comments made by me must not, in any way, be construed
             as those of my employer.