[comp.os.os2.misc] IBM OS/2 1.3 availability

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (06/05/91)

Has anyone had difficulty getting orders for OS/2 1.3 from IBM filled?
I walked into my campus computer store days after the April price-cut
announcement, and the people there were ready to take my order (and my
deposit) at the new, lower price.  They promised 3-4 days delivery.
That was 6 weeks ago.  Twice, the campus computer store got promises
regarding delivery (indeed, they once left a msg. on my phone answering
machine to the effect, "it'll be in next Tuesday"), only to come up
blank (now, the word from IBM is "we don't know when it might be in").
I'd love to complain directly to IBM, but am told that complaints have
to be channelled through the dealer network.   Is this problem unique
to Canada, or are U.S. customers faced with the same problem?
  .. Just when I thought IBM had gotten its act together.  This sort of
customer/supply situation makes me want to doubt the likelihood that
IBM will be able to "pull off" the release of 2.0 effectively (a shame,
since it sounds like they will have a superior product).

Douglas Baer,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX

dperks@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Dave Perks) (06/05/91)

In <1991Jun4.212551.9353@uwovax.uwo.ca> baer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>Has anyone had difficulty getting orders for OS/2 1.3 from IBM filled?

I hate these "me too" postings, but Compucenter in Ottawa seems to be
having the same problem with my order... it's only been a week and a
half and they think another week will do it, "IBM is backordered on it."

At least they knew what it was and knew about the new prices.

--dave perks

bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Barry King) (06/08/91)

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

> Has anyone had difficulty getting orders for OS/2 1.3 from IBM filled?
> I walked into my campus computer store days after the April price-cut
> announcement, and the people there were ready to take my order (and my
> deposit) at the new, lower price.  They promised 3-4 days delivery.
> That was 6 weeks ago.  Twice, the campus computer store got promises
> regarding delivery (indeed, they once left a msg. on my phone answering
> machine to the effect, "it'll be in next Tuesday"), only to come up
> blank (now, the word from IBM is "we don't know when it might be in").
> I'd love to complain directly to IBM, but am told that complaints have
> to be channelled through the dealer network.   Is this problem unique
> to Canada, or are U.S. customers faced with the same problem?
>   .. Just when I thought IBM had gotten its act together.  This sort of
> customer/supply situation makes me want to doubt the likelihood that
> IBM will be able to "pull off" the release of 2.0 effectively (a shame,
> since it sounds like they will have a superior product).
>
> --
I called IBM to request upgrades for my OS/2 EE's and received them
within 5 days.  They had told me to expect a 6 week delay however.

Just to be fair, bear in mind that IBM has been madly upgrading 1.2 ro
1.3 since late last year.  Also, with all of the new pricing
announcements a lot of people seem to be jumping on to the OS/2 bandwagon
for whatever reasons.  Since this is counter to the last two years, it
isn't terribly surprising that there would be a demand probalem, if
indeed there is.  Also, dealers tend to be in nthe dark about OS/2.
Canadaian upgrade customers come first, from what I can gather, dealers
second.  That is, if you are already an OS/2 customer it seems that you
will get your upgrade before Joe Consumer if his local dealer is out of
stock.  This is purely speculation based upon my own observations.

I rather doubt that IBM's apparent lack of stock of OS/2 1.3 has or will
have anything to do with their ability to ship OS/2 v2.0...the two are
completely unrelated...unless they're ramping up to ship v2.0 RSN...

Barry King              bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

taj@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (06/20/91)

Yes, fellow OStwoer. Even in the heart of New York (which is the heart of
the good US of A) one can not go into ashop and buy OS/2 1.3. Good luck and
till OS/2 2.0 take care.