[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 development

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (06/18/91)

I haven't seen this question before and am primarily reading this group
to get a feel for whether or not I want to get OS/2 for my new machine
(when I get said machine) so any help would be appreciated.

What does it take to do development on OS/2?  Can I just buy OS/2 and then
get some third party compiler (Watcom, Zortech, etc) and be all set? or
do I have to buy some multi-$$$$ development kit to develop for OS/2.

Along the same lines is anybody using either the Watcom or Zortech 32-bit
compilers for OS/2?  Are you happy with them? If Zortech is it the new v3.0?

I don't know why IBM would sign an agreement with Borland for 32-bit C++ in
the future when they could have signed with either W or Z for their compilers
which are already 32-bit.

thanx,

john gay.
--
john gay.                      jgay@digi.lonestar.org
Like Thoreau, I rejoice that there are owls.  Part of the reason is that

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/20/91)

In <1991Jun18.164953.2712@digi.lonestar.org>, jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) writes:

>What does it take to do development on OS/2?  Can I just buy OS/2 and then
>get some third party compiler (Watcom, Zortech, etc) and be all set? or
>do I have to buy some multi-$$$$ development kit to develop for OS/2.

You need a compiler that can not only generate protect mode code but also
has OS/2 run time libraries as well.  I don't like IBM C/2 nor Microsoft
C 6.0, but I have used both with no problems.  I have heard that
Zortech's compiler leaves something to be desired, and Watcom's compiler
is fast, but I haven't used either so I can't say for sure.

If you are planning to do PM programming, you need the OS/2 Programmer's
Toolkit, either from IBM or Microsoft.  The Microsoft docs are a bit
better, I'm told, but programming for PM is difficult to learn, so you're
gonna end up buying a "how to" book anyhow.  The "how to" book that I
recommend is Charles Petzold's "Programming the OS/2 Presentation
Manager" by Microsoft Press.  It's an excellent book.

>I don't know why IBM would sign an agreement with Borland for 32-bit C++ in
>the future when they could have signed with either W or Z for their compilers
>which are already 32-bit.

It is my opinion that IBM signed with Borland because 1) they do an
EXCELLENT job marketing their already popular products for DOS (I
*constantly* get flyers from them, but have never received anything from
Zortech or Watcom), 2) they have a complete development platform for
Windows and I would think that they will provide the same for OS/2, and
3) striking a deal with Borland deals a severe blow to Microsoft, whom
(rumor has it in the trade mags...I won't comment) IBM is trying to
sever its relationship with.

Of course, this is pure speculation.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.