[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 on Clone

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (05/30/91)

Get a guarantee in writing for the mfg. I have run OS/2 with no
problems on Tandy, Dell, Alr and noname(Ami bios) ISA machines.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET> (06/04/91)

I have the weirdest clone imaginable - they even don't mention WHO made
it in the manual, but OS/2 1.2 works like a charm with it! I think that
if it works with THIS machine, it would work under anything.

Details: 80386+FasMath (80387 compatible), 33Mhz, cache, AMI Bios, 4MB RAM.

I guess the machine manufacturers are considering OS/2 compatibility
when they build their motherboards..  -turgut

andreask@bcm.tmc.edu (Andreas Kasenides) (06/22/91)

In article <91155.154224TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET>, TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) writes:
> I have the weirdest clone imaginable - they even don't mention WHO made
> it in the manual, but OS/2 1.2 works like a charm with it! I think that
> if it works with THIS machine, it would work under anything.
>
> Details: 80386+FasMath (80387 compatible), 33Mhz, cache, AMI Bios, 4MB RAM.
>
> I guess the machine manufacturers are considering OS/2 compatibility
> when they build their motherboards..  -turgut

Well I have an entirely different story and I guess it tells also the
story about OS2's very low popularity.

I recently bought a '486 machine (clone from TRI-STAR) which is equipped
with an IDE MAXTOR drive. I would like to install OS2 (I have v1.21) with
HPFS and then load LAN Man. on it. My hopes of doing this were quickly
put to rest when the installation procedure for OS2 did not complete
and I was not able to force to complete.
The error comes during the last steps of installation and my install.log
says
Copying c:\os2\vga.rc -> c:\os2\ini.rc
SYS0002 Could not find file (or something to that effect)

Since Microsoft does not have support I turned to DELL (the OS2 vendor).
They of course said we cannot support your hardware. TRI-STAR also
says we cannot support that software but our hardware is compatible to
OS2 that is IDE compatible. Dell verified that their 1.21 is IDE compatible.

Can somebody help?

Andreas Kasenides
andreask@bcm.tmc.edu
.