[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 and native DOS on the same hard disk?

rick@ut-emx.uucp (Rick Watson) (06/16/91)

I have a PS2 model 50/Z.  Is there any way to partition the
hard disk so that I can have OS/2 and a native DOS partition,
rebooting to run OS/2 or DOS?

The reason I (think I) need to do this is that I have some
software that runs under DOS with DOS device drivers loaded
from config.sys.  This stuff does not appear to be runnable
under the DOS compatibility box.

Rick Watson
The University of Texas Computation Center, 512/471-3241
   internet: rick@akbar.cc.utexas.edu        bitnet: watson@utadnx
   uucp:     ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!rick   span:   utspan::utadnx::watson

REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu (06/18/91)

I solved this problem using a program called Multiboot which is
from Bolt Systems (4340 East West Highway, Bethesda, Md. 20815,
301-656-7133).  Multiboot allows you to install both DOS and OS/2
on the same drive and at start-up, select which system you would
like to boot.  (Multiboot doesn't care whose DOS you're using.)

I have run Multiboot on a Model 70 using IBM-DOS 3.30 and OS/2 1.1.
I currently run it on a Model 90 using MS-DOS 4.01 and OS/2 1.3.
The installation is simple and the price is very reasonable...about
$40 new and $15 for an upgrade. The disk is partitioned under DOS
(I have a 320 partitioned as a DOS "C") and both systems run in
the same partition.

My main reason for doing this was some communications packages and to
run Fastback which won't work in the OS/2 DOS box.

Richard Edelman
202-885-1948

rubin@watson.ibm.com (Bill Rubin) (06/19/91)

In <50592@ut-emx.uucp> rick@ut-emx.uucp (Rick Watson) writes:
> I have a PS2 model 50/Z.  Is there any way to partition the
> hard disk so that I can have OS/2 and a native DOS partition,
> rebooting to run OS/2 or DOS?

Yes, it's called OS/2 Dual Boot, and it's part of 1.3 (and 1.2).  You
install DOS on your hard disk, then install OS/2, and it recognizes that DOS
is there already and preserves the boot files.  Then when you want to go
back to DOS, you BOOT /DOS, and to go to OS/2 from DOS, BOOT /OS2.  You
aren't given a menu at startup time, however.

-- Bill rubin@watson.ibm.com
IBM TJ Watson Research

<REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu> (06/20/91)

My 1.3 manual says that dual boot works with DOS up to 4.00.
I've been told that what this means is that dual boot works only
with IBM DOS.  If you're running MS-DOS 4.01, for example, dual
boot won't work.

I haven't tried to verify this, but instead went directly to the
Multiboot prog I described in an earlier msg to dual boot 1.3 and
4.01.  That works fine.

Richard Edelman
The American University

feurer@brahms.udel.edu (Gary Alan Feurer) (06/20/91)

In article <91171.091907REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu> REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu writes:
=>My 1.3 manual says that dual boot works with DOS up to 4.00.
=>I've been told that what this means is that dual boot works only
=>
=>Richard Edelman

I have DOS 5.0 and OS/2 running fine in dual boot

BTW, the readme.txt file that came with 5.0 refers to a dualboot.exe
program located in c:\dualboot\.  I supposedly lets you choose at
boot time which system you want to boot into, rather than the current
practice of always rebooting in the system you last exited.

Anybody know anything about dualboot.exe?  I haven't seen it on any
of my disks and it is not listed in the packing list.  --gary
of my disks

--
Gary A. Feurer		    			 Instructional Technology
303B Hall Education Building			   work:   (302) 451-2751

yev_g@athena.mit.edu (Yevgeny Gurevich) (06/21/91)

In article <91171.091907REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu> <REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu> writes:
>My 1.3 manual says that dual boot works with DOS up to 4.00.
>I've been told that what this means is that dual boot works only
>with IBM DOS.  If you're running MS-DOS 4.01, for example, dual
>boot won't work.

I have already verified that OS/2 v1.3 works with MS-DOS 5.0 well.  Dual
boot had absolutely no problems.  I installed OS/2 on the machine which
had operated under PC-DOS 3.3.  Afterwords, I boot /DOS and installed 5.0
Boot /OS2 and everything is fine.  Boot /DOS and I am in DOS 5.0
No problems.

[===============================================================]
[ Yevgeny Gurevich	   ___/~\____/~\_/~~~~\_/~\______/~\_  ]
[   MIT EECS Educational  |____/~\__/~\__/~\_____/~\____/~\__| ]
[   Computing Facility	  |_____/~\/~\___/~~~\____/~\__/~\___| ]
[ ________________________|______/~~\____/~\_______/~\/~\____| ]
[ yev_g@athena.mit.edu    |______/~~\____/~~~~\_____/~~\_____| ]
[===============================================================]
--
zctl set zwrite-signature "Yevmeister"

dperks@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Dave Perks) (06/21/91)

In <91171.091907REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu> <REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu> writes:

>...dual boot works only
>with IBM DOS.  If you're running MS-DOS 4.01, for example, dual
>boot won't work.

1.3 dual boot works on my machine with Digital Research's DR-DOS
5.0 and also with Microsoft's MS-DOS 5.0 (I changed last weekend.)

lum@dds4.uucp (Michael Lum) (06/21/91)

If you want to boot your machine with different configurations
you can use the free program from PC Magazine called MBOOT.

It works fine.

I currently have 4 different configurations (maximum):
	1: Plain DOS 5.0
	2: MKS Kornshell
	3: Windows 3.0
	4: IBM OS/2 v1.3

Installing MBOOT takes about 5-15 minutes.

If you are already using MBOOT and you're going to change
to DOS 5.0 I would uninstall MBOOT first, do the upgrade
and then reinstall MBOOT.

Cheers!
Michael.

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (06/22/91)

In article <91171.091907REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu>, REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu writes:
> My 1.3 manual says that dual boot works with DOS up to 4.00.
> I've been told that what this means is that dual boot works only
> with IBM DOS.  If you're running MS-DOS 4.01, for example, dual
> boot won't work.
	The IBM OS/2 rev 1.3 BOOT /DOS command works just fine with
	MS DOS rev 4.01

eblinder@dorsai.com (Eva Blinder) (06/24/91)

REDELMAN@auvm.american.edu writes:

> My 1.3 manual says that dual boot works with DOS up to 4.00.
> I've been told that what this means is that dual boot works only
> with IBM DOS.  If you're running MS-DOS 4.01, for example, dual
> boot won't work.

Just a follow-up note for those who may be interested: This
weekend I installed MS-DOS 5.0 on my system, which is a Dell
386 running IBM OS/2 1.3. Dual boot works fine (somewhat to
my amazement). N.B., this is IBM OS/2 and *MS*-DOS.

Eva Blinder
eblinder@dorsai.com