[comp.os.os2.misc] v03INFO03: NOTICE-comp.os2.binaries archive format

tok@stiatl.salestech.com (Terry Kane) (06/19/91)

os2bin@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (OS/2 binaries moderator) writes:

>I have received several messages requesting that I change over to the .ZIP
>format which is a 'standard' in the PC world.  The common argument against
>this is that Unix does not have a decent version of PKZIP available to the
>general public, whereas ZOO archivers are very common.

I assert that zoo should remain the archive of choice, since:

	1:	The ZOO archivers as distributed in this group are HPFS aware,
		allowing long filenames, and

	2:	I am not aware of a PKZIP 1.10 package available for OS/2
		at this time - this leaves us at the 1.02 level going to DOS
		for unpackaging in the FAT fs, and

	3:	I believe that most folks rely on UNIX for their netnews
		connection; where if you want to print documentation from
		a c.b.os2 archive, you would have to punt the archive to
		DOS, extract files, to be returned to UNIX for printing
		(as one unfriendly scenario).

Count my vote for remaining with ZOO!!!!!

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.185704.6230@stiatl.salestech.com> tok@stiatl.salestech.com (Terry Kane) writes:
>	1:	The ZOO archivers as distributed in this group are HPFS aware,
>		allowing long filenames, and

I can create long filenames in Zip with the beta of the portable Zip program.
The RELEASE PORTABLE UNZIP program 4.10 will properly deal with HPFS Long
filenames in ZIp files, and it is available for many unix systems as well as
DOS and OS/2 and MAC and etc....

>	2:	I am not aware of a PKZIP 1.10 package available for OS/2
>		at this time - this leaves us at the 1.02 level going to DOS
>		for unpackaging in the FAT fs, and
>	3:	I believe that most folks rely on UNIX for their netnews
>		connection; where if you want to print documentation from
>		a c.b.os2 archive, you would have to punt the archive to
>		DOS, extract files, to be returned to UNIX for printing
>		(as one unfriendly scenario).
>Count my vote for remaining with ZOO!!!!!

I do agree that there is not currently a zipper available that will deal with
unix or long file names, or zip above pk version 1.02, but I still prefer ZIP.

wim

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/20/91)

In <1991Jun18.185704.6230@stiatl.salestech.com>, tok@stiatl.salestech.com (Terry Kane) writes:

>I assert that zoo should remain the archive of choice, since:
>
>        1:      The ZOO archivers as distributed in this group are HPFS aware,
>                allowing long filenames, and

I'm not sure if PKZIP2 is HPFS aware, but I imagine so.

>        2:      I am not aware of a PKZIP 1.10 package available for OS/2
>                at this time - this leaves us at the 1.02 level going to DOS
>                for unpackaging in the FAT fs, and

IBM has a corporate license for PKZIP2, which is the (quite fast) OS/2
version of the DOS utility.

>        3:      I believe that most folks rely on UNIX for their netnews
>                connection; where if you want to print documentation from
>                a c.b.os2 archive, you would have to punt the archive to
>                DOS, extract files, to be returned to UNIX for printing
>                (as one unfriendly scenario).

I (and many other IBMers) use OS/2 to read the news, and I strongly
suspect that the number of people who do also will increase in the
future.

>Count my vote for remaining with ZOO!!!!!

I say go with .ZIP...

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

joeb@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) (06/25/91)

Actually, I prefer LHARC!  As you no doubt know, PK Ware is the company
which markets PKZIP.  ZIP is _not_ a public-domain program, and all users
should register with PK Ware (and send $$$).

Our internal BBS system has switched over to LHARC, and I really like it.
While not quite as fast as ZIP (almost, but not quite), it packs to a
similar density and it is available for free.  There's a version for OS/2
called LH2.

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>