[comp.os.os2.misc] PC Tools backup under OS/2 1.3 DOS box

todd@pvi.UUCP (Todd Bradley x293) (06/19/91)

Before I go and trash my hard drive doing something I shouldn't
I thought I'd ask the world this question:

Can I (or should I) use PC Tools' hard disk backup to back up
either my FAT partition or my HPFS partition from the OS/2
DOS box?

Has anyone done this before?  Is it reliable?  If it is a bad
idea, what do people use for backups under OS/2?  Surely there's
got to be something better than the BACKUP command (which, from
my understanding doesn't do any data compression).

Todd.

--
Todd Bradley (extension AXE)         Disclaimers are for wimps who have
Supreme Ruler of The Galaxy          some sort of job security.

kwb@betasvm2.vnet.ibm.com (Ken Borgendale) (06/19/91)

PC Tools backup works just fine in the OS/2 DOS box.  You need to
use the slow mode (DOS filesystem).  It works fine for HPFS drives,
but like all DOS mode programs, you cannot see long file names.

Ken Borgendale

cs_b144@ux.kingston.ac.uk (Ian Stickland) (06/20/91)

SYTOS Plus is in my opinion an excellent package for making
backups. It's a full PM application and can handle HPFS.
What more could you want ?

(Just thought I'd give it a plug as I think good OS/2 programs
deserve it)

Ian Stickland.

ballard@ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun20.110837.3112@kingston.ac.uk> cs_b144@ux.kingston.ac.uk (Ian Stickland) writes:

>SYTOS Plus is in my opinion an excellent package for making
>backups. It's a full PM application and can handle HPFS
>What more could you want ?

What more could I want?  Support for DC2000 tape drives.  At least the last
time I checked, it supported diskettes, DC6000 and 8mm of various types.
But NONE of the small, cheap, floppy-disk-attachable tape drives that
are the most sensible and economic backup for small systems.
If this has changed, I'd like to know about it. I'm not willing to give
up one of my expansion slots for a tape controller.

--
Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.132901.3330@unixg.ubc.ca> ballard@ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:
>What more could I want?  Support for DC2000 tape drives.  At least the last
>time I checked, it supported diskettes, DC6000 and 8mm of various types.
>But NONE of the small, cheap, floppy-disk-attachable tape drives that
>are the most sensible and economic backup for small systems.
Colorado Memory Systems has announced that they "will address the OS/2
product line in the near future", supposedly also on their small QIC-40
and QIC-80 drives.

>If this has changed, I'd like to know about it. I'm not willing to give
>up one of my expansion slots for a tape controller.
You have to, even with a DC-2000 drive, when you have already two floppy
drives .

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

joeb@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) (06/25/91)

HP offers DC-2000 tape drives and OS/2 software.  Irwin, who supplies
the HP hardware, also sells small drives and OS/2 software.

I just got the PM version of EZTape from Irwin, and it is a _very_ nice
package.  Highly recommended!

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>