[comp.os.os2.misc] whats the best 8514 setup?

dnater@verity.com (Dan Nater) (06/20/91)

Hello-

I have an ALR 486/33 ESIA I need to purchase a 8514 monitor
and card.  I have been told that IBM's 8514 card may not be the best..
The same person recemended NEC's 8514 card.  I will probly
get a NEC 4D monitor (I would prefer to get a trinitron monitor)
if you know of one please let me know...

Please send suggestions to

dnater@verity.com

or post them here...

Dan Nater

michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun19.185155.26945@verity.com>, dnater@verity.com (Dan Nater) writes:

> and card.  I have been told that IBM's 8514 card may not be the best..
> The same person recemended NEC's 8514 card.  I will probly
> get a NEC 4D monitor (I would prefer to get a trinitron monitor)
> if you know of one please let me know...

For those two issues, check PC Mag June 25'91 (Coprocessed Video) and PC Mag
February or there abouts for 16' monitors.  If memory serves me right, Sony
is the only one that does Trinitron, and it did not have a 16" monitor reviewed
in that issue.  But it appeared that among 16" monitors, the NEC 4D got 1 of
the 2 editor's choices.  Can't remember the other.

Good luck, and I hope this helps...

Michel Biedermann	michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
!!! HOP SUISSE !!!	Switzerland is 700 years old

joeb@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) (06/25/91)

IBM is focused on Microchannel, so I seriously doubt they even MAKE an
8514 card for your EISA computer!

If 8514 is your need, I've had good experience with the ATI 8514/Ultra
card.  It works with ISA, EISA, or MC bus computers.  It's fully
"register" compatible with IBMs 8514 card, so the standard drivers for
Windows, OS/2 1.3, and OS/2 2.0 beta work fine.

ATI includes a "fast" driver for Windows, and I really wish that someone
at IBM would create a similar "fast" driver for distribution with OS/2.
It is amazingly quick at bitblts and character drawing.

The ATI card is widely available in 512K and 1M versions.  (You want the
1M version...)

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>