[comp.os.os2.misc] Problems with IDE Drives

adnan@flammulated.rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) (06/24/91)

I have installed OS2 on a 386 clone pc with 2 toshiba IDE drives and
have been having a strange problem. After booting up, OS2 locks up solid
within a couple of minutes. Even the mouse cursor remains frozen.
CRTL-ALT-DEL has no effect and the harddrive lights remain on until the
machine is reset. Is there a known problem with IDE drives (All or some ?).
I would appreciate any info.

--

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Sarmad Adnan (adnan@rice.edu)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/24/91)

You didn't mention which version of OS/2 you're running. I suspect
OS/2 more than the IDE drives, but then I have no experience with
the Toshiba drives. I've had no problems with Conner and Maxstore
drives.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

I voted for Bush once.  As it's turning out, once was once too often.

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun24.003205.29353@rice.edu> adnan@flammulated.rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) writes:

>I have installed OS2 on a 386 clone pc with 2 toshiba IDE drives and
>have been having a strange problem. After booting up, OS2 locks up solid
>within a couple of minutes. Even the mouse cursor remains frozen.
>CRTL-ALT-DEL has no effect and the harddrive lights remain on until the
>machine is reset. Is there a known problem with IDE drives (All or some ?).
>I would appreciate any info.

It sounds almost like you might be having an interrupt problem.  Is your IDE
controller built in on the motherboard?  If it is on a card, does it have a
selectable interrupt?

Wim

--
Wim Bonner
wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

adnan@flammulated.rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) (06/24/91)

>>machine is reset. Is there a known problem with IDE drives (All or some ?).
>>I would appreciate any info.

>It sounds almost like you might be having an interrupt problem.  Is your IDE
>controller built in on the motherboard?  If it is on a card, does it have a
>selectable interrupt?

>Wim

I am using ibm os2 1.3, on a 386 clone. The IDE controller is on a seperate
board and does not have selectable interupts. The system works fine with
DOS, FASTBACK, and even windows in enhanced mode.

--

                  Sarmad Adnan (adnan@rice.edu)

kwb@betasvm2.vnet.ibm.com (Ken Borgendale) (06/25/91)

OS/2 1.3 was known to have problems with non-IBM IDE drives.  The
normal solution was to use the BASEDD01.SYS from OS/2 1.2.  In the
current CSD (WR05015) there is a fix reported for problem JR02978
which was caused by certain controllers giving back errors for
commands to control the power down status of drives.  Thus you
might want to try the BASEDD01.SYS for OS/2 1.3.1.

Ken Borgendale