[comp.os.os2.misc] Other ways to install OS/2??

john@utafll.uta.edu (John Baima) (06/26/91)

As I mentioned before, the OS/2 1.3 install program scrambled my
system setup. A Windows program scrambled my hard disk and I did not
have the OS/2 stuff backed up again. So, I need to reinstall OS/2, but
I really don't want to sweat while I try to get my system to come back
to life again. Is there any manual way to install OS/2?? The 2.0
install won't do this, will it? All the wonderful things Larry has
been telling us about will be quickly forgotten if people have
problems like this with installation.

BTW, I called the OS/2 hotline just for grins. They told me that they
don't have support for installation and that I should call the
retailer. "Well, I bought it from Egghead mail order", I replied.
"Humm, that's a problem" she said. Argh.
--
John Baima
john@utafll.uta.edu

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/27/91)

In <1991Jun26.133219.20852@cse.uta.edu>, john@utafll.uta.edu (John Baima) writes:

>As I mentioned before, the OS/2 1.3 install program scrambled my
>system setup. A Windows program scrambled my hard disk and I did not
>have the OS/2 stuff backed up again. So, I need to reinstall OS/2, but
>I really don't want to sweat while I try to get my system to come back
>to life again. Is there any manual way to install OS/2?? The 2.0
>install won't do this, will it? All the wonderful things Larry has
>been telling us about will be quickly forgotten if people have
>problems like this with installation.

If you can be a little more specific about you problem maybe we can help.
When you say OS/2 1.3 scrambled your system, what do you mean?  When you
say Windows program scrambled your system, do you mean FAT is wiped out?
Or just files missing?  etc...If the latter, we can probably help you.

>BTW, I called the OS/2 hotline just for grins. They told me that they
>don't have support for installation and that I should call the
>retailer. "Well, I bought it from Egghead mail order", I replied.
>"Humm, that's a problem" she said. Argh.

This is GOING TO HAVE TO CHANGE.  It is my opinion (and, incidentally,
the opinion of a number of IBMers who's names I leave unknown) that the
OS/2 marketing and OS/2 support are the two weakest links in the chain
and that if not corrected will be the demise of OS/2.  We are trying to
get this changed, however, before OS/2 2.0 comes out.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.