[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 2.0 : A Better Windows Than Windows ?????

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/27/91)

In <7540@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) writes:

>People,
>
>        I would appreciate an answer to the following,
>
>     A. I have a Windows Communications Package that can
>        access a total of up to 2 Async. Serial Ports (this
>        is assuming you do not use the mouse).
>
>     B. I have Digiboards Multiport Board for OS/2 with
>        16 ports.
>

>     Q. Can the same Windows Communications Application, running
>        under OS/2 2.0 access all 16 ports ?

If the program is written to handle 16 ports, then the answer is yes.
Just because the ports are there doesn't mean that magically a program
written for 2 ports will have an extra 14.

>     Q. Will the performance of the Windows application be
>        better than on an equivalent machine running DOS/Windows ?
>        (i am aware that DLL interfacing reduces the performance,
>        but the question is how much compared to Windows under
>        DOS?)

Okay, here's the scoop.

The DLL library HAS BEEN REMOVED, according to the "Blue Ninja" at PC
Expo, due to poor performance.  SO...They have somehow built the calls
into the system (I did NOT say "kernal").  Expect about an increase of
100% in performance for Windows applications running under OS/2 (versus
its DOS 5.0 and Windows equivalent).  I saw this first hand, so I'm not
just making up numbers.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.