[comp.os.os2.misc] PM versions of MS Apps?

brannon@tramp.Colorado.EDU (BRANNON JAMES H) (06/27/91)

Well, make room for me on the bandwagon...

I've been developing an application for Windows 3.0
(a new numerical analysis technique) and have
had about enough of it. I bought OS2 v1.3 and like
it. Now I have 2 questions that some of you may be
able to help with.

1. I have MCS 6.0 already. Should I get the OS2 PM SDK?
Or is there a better product (like Borland C++) out
there? Should I wait for the Borland OS2 tools to
come out?

2. I can upgrade my copies of Word for Windows and
Excel for Windows to PM for $50 each. Should I do
this? Are the PM versions as good as the Windows
versions?

When v2.0 gets here (4Q91?) will I have to get new
compilers and etc? For now, I have to try and keep
expenses to a minimum.

Thanx in advance.

Jim Brannon
brannon@tramp.Colorado.Edu

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.195830.28183@colorado.edu>, brannon@tramp.Colorado.EDU (BRANNON JAMES H) writes:
> Well, make room for me on the bandwagon...

Here's a partial answer...

> I've been developing an application for Windows 3.0
> (a new numerical analysis technique) and have
> had about enough of it. I bought OS2 v1.3 and like
> it. Now I have 2 questions that some of you may be
> able to help with.
>
> 1. I have MCS 6.0 already. Should I get the OS2 PM SDK?
> Or is there a better product (like Borland C++) out
> there? Should I wait for the Borland OS2 tools to
> come out?
>
> 2. I can upgrade my copies of Word for Windows and
> Excel for Windows to PM for $50 each. Should I do
> this? Are the PM versions as good as the Windows
> versions?
The Excel for os/2 version 3 is every bit as good (? or as bad?) as
the Windows version.  The complaint I've heard about it is that it's
still a single-threaded app., so it doesn't take advantage of the
advantages of os/2 pm.  But it's still perfectly good & stable.  I've heard
that Word for PM is not very good, however.  I don't use it, so I don't
know.

--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/27/91)

In <1991Jun26.195830.28183@colorado.edu>, brannon@tramp.Colorado.EDU (BRANNON JAMES H) writes:

>I've been developing an application for Windows 3.0
>(a new numerical analysis technique) and have
>had about enough of it.

Join the club.

>                        I bought OS2 v1.3 and like
>it. Now I have 2 questions that some of you may be
>able to help with.

>1. I have MCS 6.0 already. Should I get the OS2 PM SDK?
>Or is there a better product (like Borland C++) out
>there? Should I wait for the Borland OS2 tools to
>come out?

I don't like any of the compilers for OS/2 that are currently on the
market, so I won't recommend any.  Borland has announced a C++
development environment for OS/2, and I strongly suspect it will be the
equivalent (if not better) of the Windows development environment.

>2. I can upgrade my copies of Word for Windows and
>Excel for Windows to PM for $50 each. Should I do
>this? Are the PM versions as good as the Windows
>versions?

Since Microsoft wrote them, I don't know.  I'm NOT saying this just
because I don't like Microsoft, but instead because I have read that the
OS/2 PM versions of popular Microsoft Windows applications were ported
using the Migration Kit, which DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF
OS/2 SPECIFIC FEATURES.  Specifically, I am referring to multi-threading,
which can make a BIG difference.

>When v2.0 gets here (4Q91?) will I have to get new
>compilers and etc? For now, I have to try and keep
>expenses to a minimum.

That depends.  Rumor has it that IBM is development a "Workbench" which
will contain a set of development tools.  I'll assume that one of these
tools is a compiler.  If they do announce something like this, it will be
interesting to see if they include it with OS/2, or make it a separate
product (probably the latter).

Again, I don't know of any announcement to this effect, so take this with
a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.