[comp.os.os2.misc] os2 installation blues

HORST@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (HORST) (06/29/91)

I am trying to install IBM OS/2 ver. 1.3 on a PC clone. It fails miserably with
a message: The system detected an internal processing error at location # ...
Trap 000C followed by a bunch of register information. I am using an EISA
MYLEX 486 (33Mhz) system board, an EGA board and a DCE376 caching SCSI disk
controller also from MYLEX.I am able to boot from the OS2 install diskette when
I replace the DCE376 with a Western Digital disk controller to drive the floppy

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (06/29/91)

Submodel = 01

I too am havin' a bummer time installing OS/2 1.3 EE.
I have a 20MHz '386, AMI BIOS, Ultrastore 12F ESDI controller, Maxtor
 XT-8760 ESDI HD with DOS 5.0
I did as appendix D says for Dual Boot, I then boot up the installation
 disk, I notice it comes up in HPFS mode with C: as a virtual? drive?
 then go through a couple of info screens to the HPFS info screen, then
 a RED warning<ERROR?>screen comes up telling me FDISK unsuccessfull
The error.log shows:
Model = FC

jim@tct.com (Jim Kunzman) (06/30/91)

According to HORST@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (HORST):
>I am trying to install IBM OS/2 ver. 1.3 on a PC clone. It fails miserably with
>a message: The system detected an internal processing error at location # ...
>Trap 000C followed by a bunch of register information. I am using an EISA
>MYLEX 486 (33Mhz) system board, an EGA board and a DCE376 caching SCSI disk
>controller also from MYLEX.I am able to boot from the OS2 install diskette when
>I replace the DCE376 with a Western Digital disk controller to drive the floppy
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem when installing the Adaptec SCSI controller.  It
turns out I needed to copy the Adaptec SCSI controller driver to DISK01.SYS
on a *COPY* of the installation disk.  You might want to rename DISK01.SYS
before you copy the DCE376 driver (if they have one).  On the other hand,
the DCE376 might emulate the standard WD interface in which case I'm
completely out to lunch :-).

You will probably want to check with your controller mfgr. to see
if there are OS/2 drivers available for the DCE376.  Good luck.

--
Jim Kunzman at Teltronics/TCT     <jim@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!jim>
         !(This space intentionally left blank.)

jim@tct.com (Jim Kunzman) (06/30/91)

According to buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr):
>Submodel = 01
>
>I too am havin' a bummer time installing OS/2 1.3 EE.
>I have a 20MHz '386, AMI BIOS, Ultrastore 12F ESDI controller, Maxtor
> XT-8760 ESDI HD with DOS 5.0
>I did as appendix D says for Dual Boot, I then boot up the installation
> disk, I notice it comes up in HPFS mode with C: as a virtual? drive?
> then go through a couple of info screens to the HPFS info screen, then
> a RED warning<ERROR?>screen comes up telling me FDISK unsuccessfull
>The error.log shows:
>Model = FC

For now you might just want to not install HPFS.  For me FAT works fine
(although I'd like the long file names) with my Adaptec controller.  I
guess some of the controller mfgrs are having problems writing HPFS
compatible drivers.  Using FAT only is a small price to pay.  Nevertheless,
register your disatisfaction with your controller manufacturer.  Don't
waste your breath trying to talk to IBM (unless you have an "in" in Boca).
IBM will not support non-IBM peripherals (nor should they have to).  If
peripheral manufacturers want to sell equipment, then they should produce
the drivers.  Not to say that this is right, but it's standard practice
in (most) of the UNIX world...  It's also becoming more common in the DOS
and OS/2 world.  If OS/2 starts to catch on, we will see a lot more vendors
building OS/2 drivers of all sorts.  Let's hope that is the case...

--

cmo@lucy.softpro.de (Christian Motz) (06/30/91)

In article <91179.160056HORST@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> HORST@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (HORST) writes:
>I am trying to install IBM OS/2 ver. 1.3 on a PC clone. It fails miserably with
>a message: The system detected an internal processing error at location # ...
>Trap 000C followed by a bunch of register information. I am using an EISA
>MYLEX 486 (33Mhz) system board, an EGA board and a DCE376 caching SCSI disk
>controller also from MYLEX.I am able to boot from the OS2 install diskette when
>I replace the DCE376 with a Western Digital disk controller to drive the floppy
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Interestingly enough, I observed exactly the same problem, although I never
tracked it down to the controler. The strange thing is that IBM OS/2 1.2 with
CSD Level 4031 (I know, I know, this is pre-golden etc. etc. :-) installs
and runs just fine. So excuse me if I have no real solution for the problem,
but I try to add my observation anyway.

--
SOFTPRO doesn't speak for me, and I do not speak for SOFTPRO. So what?

                              Christian Motz, cmo@softpro.stgt.sub.org