[comp.sys.mac.app] WANTED: Heap viewing program/FKEY/DA

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (11/24/90)

I am looking for a tool that allows me to perform fairly sophisticated
inspection of application/system heaps.

What I would really like is a DA or FKEY that pops up and allows me
to select a heap to view. Then presents me with a nice graphical display
of the heap and the various components thereof. Then I would like
the ability to select specific (i.e., these two I have hilited) and/or
general groups (i.e., all locked handles) and either scan them for
data and/or view them in hex/ascii edit windows like those in ResEdit.

Many other features spring to mind, but the ability to view the data
in such a way as to be able to determine the contents of the memory
and possibly the origins are the primary need.

I have seen simple DAs that display a picture of the heap, but this
is fairly useless.

Anyone know of anything close to this beasty?

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uunet!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (11/25/90)

In article <1CE00001.zy2fzl@tbomb.ice.com>, time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) writes:

> I am looking for a tool that allows me to perform fairly sophisticated
> inspection of application/system heaps.
>
> What I would really like is a DA or FKEY that pops up and allows me
> to select a heap to view. Then presents me with a nice graphical display
> of the heap and the various components thereof. Then I would like
> the ability to select specific (i.e., these two I have hilited) and/or
> general groups (i.e., all locked handles) and either scan them for
> data and/or view them in hex/ascii edit windows like those in ResEdit.
>
> Many other features spring to mind, but the ability to view the data
> in such a way as to be able to determine the contents of the memory
> and possibly the origins are the primary need.

Tim -

Jasik's debugger has a very nice heap view.  Of course, this isn't a
DA or FKEY, but is always around and easy to call up.

You can view items on the various heaps and look further at the data
of the items stored there.  Many of the items even have type information
shown.  Even for items that you aren't sure of the type, you can apply
type templates to the data blocks and see if the data makes sense
for that type.

Jasik's debugger is invaluable for "industrial strength" debugging.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554