[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Help with Commodore -> IBM connection

smithj@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (07/09/90)

  I need to know how (if possible) to connect an OLD Commodore VIC-1571(?)
printer to an IBM PC-XT compatible.
  I have posted this to a lot of groups in the hopes that someone can answer
my question so

	1) I am sorry if it has wound up in an inappropriate group
	2) Try to send all replies via e-mail

Please refrain from all question concerning the obvious idiocy of wanting to do
such a thing.  Only the lucky few who can answer the question deserve to know
why I would want to do such a thing.

--
I knew how the game was going to end when I took Brenda
	into the filing room but I took her in anyway.	--Al

/* Jeffery G. Smith, BS-RHIT (AKA Doc. Insomnia, WMHD-FM)       *
 *    The Ohio State University, Graduate Physics Program       *
 *        3193 Smith Lab, Columbus, OH 43210  (614) 292-5321    *
 *    smithj@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu                          */

geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) (07/10/90)

In article <8485.269855ed@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu> smithj@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
>  I need to know how (if possible) to connect an OLD Commodore VIC-1571(?)
>printer to an IBM PC-XT compatible.

Hmmm, 1571 is a floppy disk, but presume you mean one of the printers
that used the C=64/VIC serial sort-of-IEEE interface.

Well a (simple?) solution is to use a C=64 or even (gasp!) a VIC-20. The
user port of these things can be set up to behave as a centronics
compatible parallel in port. It is then a simple matter to send the data
out via the usual printer port. A quick and dirty solution would involve
only a few dozen lines of assembler. A more sophisticated program could
utilise the available memory as a printer buffer.

If you wanted to use this permanently I would suggest having the program
blown into EPROM which can be placed on a PC board and plugged into the
machines cartridge port.

>such a thing.  Only the lucky few who can answer the question deserve to know
>why I would want to do such a thing.

I still can't figure out why you'd want to bother.......

Geoff McCaughan        Email: geoff@actrix.co.nz  Phone: +64 3 539545 or 852101
Amiga/Hardware/Unix/Quantum Mechanics Hacker      Phax : +64 3 539567
"Anarchy: Think of it as evolution in action."            ^ NEW ZEALAND!