[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for more hard disk space...

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (07/18/90)

In article <780026@hpsad.HP.COM>, jose@hpsad.HP.COM (Jose Gomez-Rubio (SEED Student)) writes:
> I've brought a Perstor controller from Hard Drives Int'l.  June issue
> of Computer Shopper lists it for $199.

> To me, the controller is quite nimble.
>
> Highly recommended.
>
> I believe the March issue of BYTE in the Chaos Manor section, Jerry gives
> an overview of the controller.  E-mailing other people with Perstor tells me
> other people are satisfied. I am!

I also bought a Perstor 16 bit controller, same venue.  Now my hard disk is
having problems.  Read access faults and sometimes it claims it can't find the
sector.  The Norton Utilities DT utility agrees with the system that there
is a problem.  Usually the phenomenon goes away after the system has been
running for a while, which is puzzling.  Perhaps the problem is temperature
related?  I can't verify at this point that the Perstor has anything to
do with the problem, but I would be interested to know what others think.

I have forgotten my disk model number, but it is a Miniscribe 44 MB/25 ms
type, with a model number I think in the 4000-range.  It has never had
this problem before.  It is about 2 years old.

On temperature, I noticed the drive was very hot to the touch while I was doing
the Perstor format, but I suppose this is always true.  I seldom have the cover
off so that I can tell.  Also, the Perstor card is very big and
mounted next to the drive/power area it must change the convection currents
in the chassis considerably.