[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Hyundai Super-286E

behm@ntmtv.UUCP (Gregory A. Behm) (07/14/90)

I'm helping a relative choose a 286-based PC, and she's narrowed her choices
down to two different machines: Epson IIe and Hyundai Super-286E.

My question for the group is:  how good (quality & reliability) are Hyundai
PCs, and how good is Hyundai's service?

I will appreciate hearing from anyone having experience with Hyundais; the
Super-286E in particular, or any of their PCs in general.

E-mail preferred.  Thanks for the help.

Greg
ntmtv!behm@ames.arc.nasa.gov
!...!{amdahl, ames, hplabs}!ntmtv!behm

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (07/17/90)

behm@ntmtv.UUCP (Gregory A. Behm) writes:
>I'm helping a relative choose a 286-based PC, and she's narrowed her choices
>down to two different machines: Epson IIe and Hyundai Super-286E.
>
>My question for the group is:  how good (quality & reliability) are Hyundai
>PCs, and how good is Hyundai's service?
>
>I will appreciate hearing from anyone having experience with Hyundais; the
>Super-286E in particular, or any of their PCs in general.
>
>E-mail preferred.  Thanks for the help.

I HATE Hyundai!  We had a serious problem with the Hyundai 286-E, it would not
run Lotus Release 3 (node version).  It would ALWAYS generate a stack
overflow.  We went around the merry go around with Hyundai and Lotus about
this to no avail.  If you want a personal recommendation, I would recommend an
ALR PowerFlex since it is upgradeable to a 386SX.

Hyundai's tech support pointed the finger at Lotus and gave us a list of every
possible patch for Lotus possible.  The funny part is that EVERY revision of
Lotus would run but Release 3.  I would say away from Hyundai since my
personal experience has been nothing but a bad one.
+0

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

NETOPRWA@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (Wayne Aiken) (07/20/90)

In article <1394@ntmtv.UUCP> behm@ntmtv.UUCP (Gregory A. Behm) writes:

>I'm helping a relative choose a 286-based PC, and she's narrowed her choices
>down to two different machines: Epson IIe and Hyundai Super-286E.
>
>My question for the group is:  how good (quality & reliability) are Hyundai
>PCs, and how good is Hyundai's service?

FORGET HYUNDAI!!!!  At one time, my company bought several; based on the
continous string of flakey problems, compounded by non-existent service,
we will never do business with them again.

Even if you are lucky enough to ever get a computer back from being serviced,
chances are good that it still won't work, or will have some other problem.
I've never had any problems with any of the Epson (older Equity I+ & II+)
machines, nor any major problems with the vanilla 386 clones that we're moving
to.  Go with anyone else; Hyundai is definitely one to avoid like the plague.

Wayne Aiken                netoprwa@ncsuvm.bitnet      "You can BE what
PO Box 30904               netoprwa@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu     you WON'T!!"
Raleigh, NC  27622         slack@ncsu.edu                --"Bob"
(919) 782-8171             BBS: (919) 782-3095