[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Quickmail

sbd@itd.dsto.oz.au (Scott Davis) (07/04/90)

Hi,

Does anyone out there use QuickMail (from CE software) in a mixed environment
of IBM-compatible PCs and Macintoshes?

Any comments/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Scott Davis
--
Scott Davis					Phone (08) 259 6360
Information Technology Division,

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (07/23/90)

In article <SBD.90Jul23123046@isr4.dsto.oz.au> sbd@dsto.oz.au (Scott Davis) writes:
>A couple of weeks ago, I posted a request for information/experience
>of running QuickMail on a mixed environment of Macintoshes and PCs.
>
>I received several requests to post a summary, from people who are also
>considering a similar setup.
>
>From: anders@macpost.lu.se
>I can definitely recommend QuickMail PC!
>I hope this helps other people in the same position as we are.
>We will be getting a copy of quickmail PC soon. (When finances permit)

I don't blame you. But let me explain what is going on in Mac
world. We have also been thinking and searching a good mail package to
use in our Mac network connected to Ethernet and Unix machines. I
thought also that QuickMail could do the job. However I wanted to be
able to connect Mac mail to Unix mail and it wasn't easy to do, yet.
But a few weeks ago we got hold on a marvelous package called MacPost.
It is a SMTP mail server running on Mac and talking SMTP over TCP to
Unix host. So: why I am telling this to PC group? Because I want
someone do the same on PC world. I want a same kind of program running
on PC. Anyone capable to do that. I Bet. So go ahead and do it... I
know I can't but I am sure many would use it if it exists.

--
== Harri Valkama ==============================================================
| harri.valkama@wmac00.uwasa.fi hv@uwasa.fi hv@flame.uwasa.fi hv@nic.funet.fi |

sbd@dsto.oz.au (Scott Davis) (07/24/90)

From: mark@shiva.com
We've (Shiva, that is) been using QuickMail for about 8 months, mostly on
Macs, but also with a few PCs thrown into the melee.  In general, the PCs
have been AT class 386 machines running TOPS 2.1 (and now 3.0).  It seems
to work OK, but works much better on PCs equipped with mice.

From: anders@macpost.lu.se
At my department we have an AppleShare server whoch also functions as a
QuickMail server. We have approx. 10 Macs and 2 PCs connected. QuickMail and
AppleShare are available on both OSes. QuickMail works fine on the PCs! There
is, however, a slight nuisance with QuickMail PC. It needs memory and the PCs
are not the most memory-rich machines. A PC that loads AppleShare software and
software for automatic mail notification cannot load any more programs! Our
workaround is to skip the mail notification which means that the PC user has to
check periodically if there is any mail.

This nuisance can probably be solved by MS-DOS knowledgable persons but it has
not been worth the effort here.