[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Win3 and Serial vs Bus Mice

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (07/24/90)

In article <639@dg.dg.com> jorge@dg.dg.com (Jorge Lach) writes:

>As it turns out, that port is for a "bus mouse". The problem seems to be
>that when the Win3 mouse drives sees that port, it thinks that is where the
>mouse is. Of course, since there is no mouse in there, the cursor does not
>move. Microsoft tech support does not know of any way of telling the mouse
>driver not to look there (or telling it to look specifically at one of
>the COM ports). Right now, I'm ready to put Win3 back in its box and ship
>it to Microsoft, and stick to Win286 (at least it's usable).

We have a screen card with a microsoft bus-mouse-port on, but no mouse
that fits the port.  On win286 we had exactly the problem you are
speaking about. Our solution was to use a non-microsoft serial mouse.
(Are microsoft trying to decrease their own sales of mice, or what?)