[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Crippleware

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (07/27/90)

In article <8005@fy.sei.cmu.edu> bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) writes:
>In article <1990Jul24.181724.12354@world.std.com> goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) writes:
>
>>P.S.  Are you planning to pay for 4dos? [reason to support authors deleted]
>>The version of GCP that is due out on cbip
>>within the week will no longer be available as shareware (ie: no new versions)
>>because there have not been enough registration fees.
>I didn't register GCP because it didn't do what I needed it to do.  In fact,
>it had purposely been crippled to not allow what I needed it for (GIF->BMP).
>Sure, I would have gotten that capability if I registered, but shareware was
>intended to try-before-you-buy.  Crippled shareware or maybe better called
>guessware is no longer try-before-you-buy, instead it is a somewhat
>functioning demo.

>Some shareware get enough support that they prosper (e.g., 4dos) and it is
>interesting that these are full functioning programs (counter examples would
>be interesting).

Actually 4DOS might be viewed as not fully functional because of the beep
and delay of the shareware version, which I view an acceptable punishment
for not registering (I *have* registered).

>Windows Navigate is my current example of a program that I would probably buy
>if I used it regularly, which I would (I think) if not for the built in
>annoyances.

When I get "crippleware" I generally toss it. If you can't try out all the
features how can you evaluate the software? Size restrictions also bother me.
Years ago I had a demo version of DBase II (for CP/M!) that placed a limit
of 10 records in a database. No way to check performance, which is a critical
factor in deciding on database programs. With only ten records, everything is
instantaneous! I also got a form making program which required registration
to get any printer driver but genaric non-graphic printer. This meant you
could only generate very crude forms. How would it do on my Epson? No way
to tell!

4DOS and PC-Write are good examples of fully functional, powerful programs
that seem to do just fine as shareware.

Acceptable ways to encourage purchase:

1. Annoyance "plea" screens that appear when you run the program, until you
   register.
2. Install programs that time stamp the file, requiring reinstallation after
   a short period of time (enough for an evaluation).
3. Printed documentation, quick reference cards, telephone support, only
   available after registering (but installation support should be available
   to evaluators).
4. Free upgrade to next version (and current if shareware copy is old) upon
   registering.

Unacceptable ways:

1. Anything that makes running the unlicensed program difficult.
2. Insufficient shareware documentation so that you can't figure out how
   to use the program.
3. Missing features
4. Limited data size or inability to save work where that would cause problems
   of doing a full evaluation.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply