[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Compaq Hard Disks

asplund@alcor.usc.edu (Daryl) (07/26/90)

Hello all,

I have, what I thought to be, a simple question about a friend's Compaq
Deskpro 386/16.  His original disk drive (40Mb) died on him.  He has a
Seagate ST251-1 (40Mb, 27ms) drive that he would like to use; however,
the Compaq "all-in-one" controller (controls hard disk, floppies, tape
unit, one serial, one parallel) has an odd connector on it.  A quick
call to Compaq explained that the drive is an MFM drive (no probelm there),
but it uses the "special" Conor(?) connector.  They went on to say that
there is a conversion between the standard connectors (the Seagate has
a place for the two standard cables (control and data)), but they could
not release that information.

I guess my question is:  Does anyone have the conversion between these
connectors (if one really exists)?

The connector on the Compaq drive/controller is a real long plug (only one
at both ends), as opposed to the Seagate Data and Control cables.

We need this information to make a cable (unless someone already makes
one), as he must keep the controller to control the tape drive and
for the other ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Please respond to: asplund@alcor.usc.edu

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (07/27/90)

In article <11035@chaph.usc.edu> asplund@alcor.usc.edu (Daryl) writes:
>I have, what I thought to be, a simple question about a friend's Compaq
>Deskpro 386/16.  His original disk drive (40Mb) died on him.  He has a
>Seagate ST251-1 (40Mb, 27ms) drive that he would like to use; however,

I have been told, and am no expert on compaq's by any means, the following...
1. Compaq uses a funny disk standard.  The drive may be mfm (or rll  - I spose)
    However, the controller is split up differently that a st506 interface.
    More of the controller is mounted on the drive.
2. In order to use a st251 or sim drive, several different possibilities exist.
a. Strip this extra 'stuff' off the dead compaq drive & rig it all up somehow.
b. If the controller isn't the original deskpro type, the drive controller
   can be disabled via jumpers.  These jumpers are undocumented and known
   only to quasi-psycotic hard-core compaq dealers.
Maybe somebody from compaq can or will provide the information we all need.
Maybe somebody that has worked on a least one deskpro can provide the same.
al