[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 4DOS and Windows 3.0 problem.

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (07/24/90)

In evaluating 4DOS 3.01a, I have it running alongside Windows 3.0 in one
configuration and with Desqview 2.25 in another on an AST Premium/286
with 2MB, 896 expanded, 640 conventional rest extended.

I have had no problems running under DV 2.25. Under Win 3, though, the
DOS window freezes if I switch back into it after going into Win 3. The
freeze is so cold, only a h/w reset fixes it.

I believe it may have something to do with 4DOS swapping in expanded
memory when it opens up. Has anyone else seen this?

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445

david@jdyx.UUCP (David Mandell) (07/24/90)

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:

>In evaluating 4DOS 3.01a, I have it running alongside Windows 3.0 in one
>configuration and with Desqview 2.25 in another on an AST Premium/286
>with 2MB, 896 expanded, 640 conventional rest extended.

>I have had no problems running under DV 2.25. Under Win 3, though, the
>DOS window freezes if I switch back into it after going into Win 3. The
>freeze is so cold, only a h/w reset fixes it.

>I believe it may have something to do with 4DOS swapping in expanded
>memory when it opens up. Has anyone else seen this?

I run 2 or 3 4DOS sessions all the time under Win3 with no major problems.
One thing that is VERY IMPORTANT (and undocumented) is that you must
start 4DOS with a "/v" parameter if you are running in real or standard
modes under Win3.  There are two ways you can do this:

	1) Edit the DOS Prompt by single clicking on it to highlight it,
	   then selecting "properties" from the File menu, and changing
	   "command.com" to be "4dos.com /v".

	2) Create a .pif file and add the "/v" as a parameter

Hope this helps.  4DOS is a great product...

--
David G. Mandell           david@jdyx.UUCP       david@jdyx.atlanta.ga.us
PLANNET CRAFTERS           gatech!emory!jdyx!david

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.061834.758@amd.com> indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
>In evaluating 4DOS 3.01a, I have it running alongside Windows 3.0 in one
>configuration and with Desqview 2.25 in another on an AST Premium/286
>with 2MB, 896 expanded, 640 conventional rest extended.
>
>I have had no problems running under DV 2.25. Under Win 3, though, the
>DOS window freezes if I switch back into it after going into Win 3. The
>freeze is so cold, only a h/w reset fixes it.
>
>I believe it may have something to do with 4DOS swapping in expanded
>memory when it opens up. Has anyone else seen this?

I'd be interested to find out how you have set up 4dos to swap to extended
memory.  The initial 4dos shell must be started outside of windows.  Are you
running an emm emulator and running windows in real mode?  If not, I suspect
the inital shell will probably crash when it tries to swap.

Initially when I started using 4dos, I set it up to swap to _extended_
memory.  At that time I had occasional problems with windows exiting back
to the primary shell without warning or error messages, so I changed to
swapping to disk (with no noticable delays, but then I'm running with a
large smartdrive).  The problem did not go away and appears to be related
to a new version of the netware drivers.  (Welcome to the bleeding edge ;-)
When the netware drivers have stabilized, I'll go back to extended memory
swapping.  (Which works just fine on my machine at home -- no network.)

Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

P.S.  Are you planning to pay for 4dos?
#define SOAPBOX_ON
#ifdef SOAPBOX_ON
If you use shareware and like it, please pay for it.  If the folks who develop
shareware don't get anything for their (considerable) time, they won't continue
to make shareware available.  The version of GCP that is due out on cbip
within the week will no longer be available as shareware (ie: no new versions)
because there have not been enough registration fees.
#endif //SOAPBOX_ON

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul24.181724.12354@world.std.com> goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) writes:

>P.S.  Are you planning to pay for 4dos?
>#define SOAPBOX_ON
>#ifdef SOAPBOX_ON
>If you use shareware and like it, please pay for it.  If the folks who develop
>shareware don't get anything for their (considerable) time, they won't continue
>to make shareware available.  The version of GCP that is due out on cbip
>within the week will no longer be available as shareware (ie: no new versions)
>because there have not been enough registration fees.
>#endif //SOAPBOX_ON

I didn't register GCP because it didn't do what I needed it to do.  In fact,
it had purposely been crippled to not allow what I needed it for (GIF->BMP).
Sure, I would have gotten that capability if I registered, but shareware was
intended to try-before-you-buy.  Crippled shareware or maybe better called
guessware is no longer try-before-you-buy, instead it is a somewhat
functioning demo.

Some shareware get enough support that they prosper (e.g., 4dos) and it is
interesting that these are full functioning programs (counter examples would
be interesting).

Windows Navigate is my current example of a program that I would probably buy
if I used it regularly, which I would (I think) if not for the built in
annoyances.  Great idea, but trust (hope?) should be added to the program.
(Copy protection went away and the industry seem healthy and prosperous.)

At least for me, I buy what I use.  I recommend GCP be cured of its ailments
and released as true shareware. (Regular upgrades and enhancements also
encourage me to register my shareware - especially those utilities that
I don't use often).

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul24.181724.12354@world.std.com> goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) writes:

>I'd be interested to find out how you have set up 4dos to swap to extended
>memory.  The initial 4dos shell must be started outside of windows.  Are you
>running an emm emulator and running windows in real mode?  If not, I suspect
>the inital shell will probably crash when it tries to swap.

I used no paramaters with 4dos when I started. I would then see that it
picked XMS to swap to. Win started fine and showed me, I believe 605K
available at ~75% resources. Ofcourse, no network at home. I use a Sun
SLC running SunOS 4.1 at work, Love the 12.5 mips!

Subsequent shells would swap to available expanded memory (which I left
for Ventura to use.) Now I have explicitly got 4dos to swap to disk. My
memory now reads 700+K at 70%. Ventura is happy, I don't mind the extra
moment when it hits the disk. 65k is small enough to write that it is
not too bothersome. (to me @ 28ms seek).

>Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com
>
>P.S.  Are you planning to pay for 4dos?
My 21 days evaluation for 4dos are not up yet. I expect to register.

>#define SOAPBOX_ON
>#ifdef SOAPBOX_ON
>If you use shareware and like it, please pay for it.
[rest of soapbox deleted.]

I have paid for shareware I nolonger use...