[net.ham-radio] FM Broadcast band repeater

rjk@mgweed.UUCP (Randy King) (05/19/85)

<><><>
I am soliciting advice and comments on the following.  I live in a fringe
area for most of the good FM stations that broadcast from Chicago.  I can
receive these broadcasts easily on my radio that connects to my TV antenna,
but clock radios and walkmans get little or nothing.

I think what I need is a limited area FM transmitter so that I can use my
walkman while out on the tractor.  It's a two hour job to mow and I sure
would like to listen to the radio (note: radio, not tapes!).  I'd also like
my other radios playing my choice of music which includes other FM stations,
discs, or reel tapes from the stereo.  Here is my wish-list:

	*) stereo hi-Z audio inputs
	*) range of about 500' radius (is this legal?)
	*) signalling input; i.e. maybe I can detect a phone ringing
	   or some other signal and 'beep' my remote radio.

I sure would appreciate any pointers on available equipment, legal req's,
similar experience, how-would-you-do-its, and any other comments.  Please
try to mail to me, even if you post a followup.

						Randy King
						AT&T-CP@MG
						ihnp4!mgweed!rjk

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (05/19/85)

     Sounds like you need to connect  the  headphone  output
     jack of your indoor receiver (the one that	can hear the
     stations you want)	to the input connection	 of  a	"Mr.
     Microphone"  or some other	type FM	wireless microphone.
     Radio Shack sells a kiddie's toy for $6.95	 [#60-2109],
     but  I  don't know	its transmission range.	 The catalog
     also lists	a  "Wireless  FM  Mini	Tie-Clip  Mike"	 for
     $19.95  [#33-1076],  but  the range is specified as 250
     feet outdoors.  This  scheme  only	 provides  you	with
     monaural reception.

     I've used a wireless intercom on 200 kHz  for  a  local
     area  relay  from	the livingroom to the bedroom rather
     than running wires.

     If	you're not fussy about fidelity,  you  could  use  a
     pair  of  toy  49 MHz walkie-talkies, dedicating one to
     full time transmission, and one for reception.   You'll
     have  to contend with nearby cordless telephones on the
     same frequency.  The  latest  John	 J  Meshna  catalog1
     lists  a  49.86  MHz walkie-talkie	board on page 56 for
     $1.50 [H41A-26].

> Subject: FM Broadcast	band repeater
>
> I am soliciting advice and comments on the following.	 I live	in a fringe
> area for most	of the good FM stations	that broadcast from Chicago.  I	can
> receive these	broadcasts easily on my	radio that connects to my TV antenna,
> but clock radios and walkmans	get little or nothing.
>
> I think what I need is a limited area	FM transmitter so that I can use my
> walkman while	out on the tractor.  It's a two	hour job to mow	and I sure
> would	like to	listen to the radio (note: radio, not tapes!).	I'd also like
> my other radios playing my choice of music which includes other FM stations,
> discs, or reel tapes from the	stereo.	 Here is my wish-list:
>
>	*) stereo hi-Z audio inputs
>	*) range of about 500' radius (is this legal?)
>	*) signalling input; i.e. maybe	I can detect a phone ringing
>	   or some other signal	and 'beep' my remote radio.
>
> I sure would appreciate any pointers on available equipment, legal req's,
> similar experience, how-would-you-do-its, and	any other comments.  Please
> try to mail to me, even if you post a	followup.

__________

 1. John J. Meshna, Jr., Inc. 19 Allerton Street, Lynn,	MA
    01904. Tel:	(617)595-2275.

Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

hanson@ihu1m.UUCP (R. J. Hanson) (05/22/85)

>      Radio Shack sells a kiddie's toy for $6.95	 [#60-2109],
>      but  I  don't know	its transmission range.

It's transmission range is about 5 feet !

At least while my stereo is hooked up to the outside antenna, any
FM station, even Wisconsin/Indiana, can knock Mr. Microphone off the air!
Driven from 1 AA battery, if my memory serves me correctly, it's not
worth the $6.