[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Hyperdisk -- the Smartdrive replacement

george@shumv1.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (07/31/90)

Has anyone tried Hyperdisk -- the new shareware Smartdrive replacement?

I downloaded a benchmarks file from Compuserve and it looks like
Hyperdisk is a much better product.  Hyperdisk can use an optional write
cache (Smartdrive doesn't have this) which speeds up disk access
considerably.

The benchmarks were done by Frank Reidelberger (CIS: 73230,650).

The PC Mag Benchmark Version 5.1 tests had the following summary
for small and large records (SD=Smartdrive 3.03, HD=Hyperdisk 4.01):

Cache used:     	  none	   SD     SD    HD     HD     HD    HD
Cache size (kb):          0        1024   2048  1024   2048   1024  2048
DOS memory used (kb):     0        14     16    21     23     21    23
Write cache:              n/a      n/a    n/a   no     no     yes   yes

Overall results:          87.45    47.73  48.01 49.48  49.38  6.97  7.14
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                WOW!!!

Has anyone tried this program out?  How does it work with Windows 3.0?
Is it available via ftp?

george
| George Browning                  North Carolina State University  |
| george@shumv1.ncsu.edu                               Raleigh, NC  |
|___________________________________________________________________|

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (07/31/90)

George Browning <george@shumv1.ncsu.edu> writes:
> I downloaded a benchmarks file from Compuserve and it looks like
> Hyperdisk is a much better product.  Hyperdisk can use an optional write
> cache which speeds up disk access considerably.
>
> Cache used:     	   none	     SD     SD    HD     HD     HD    HD
> Cache size (kb):          0        1024   2048  1024   2048   1024  2048
> DOS memory used (kb):     0        14     16    21     23     21    23
> Write cache:              n/a      n/a    n/a   no     no     yes   yes
> Overall results:          87.45    47.73  48.01 49.48  49.38  6.97  7.14

Well, to me it lloks like Hyperdisk is slower than SamrtDrive unless you
enable write caching, and it takes another 7K of DOS memory, too --- which
matters when you're running non-Windows apps.  Also, I find that in real
life, my disk ends up doing *MUCH* more reading than writing, reducing the
improvement available from write caching.

Personally I wouldn't take a chance by caching writes; a power failure or
a system crash might wipe out what you thought had already been written
to disk.

If you want higher disk performance, consider a disk controller with a
built-in cache.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (07/31/90)

From article <1990Jul30.203704.13570@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, by george@shumv1.ncsu.edu (George Browning):

> Has anyone tried Hyperdisk -- the new shareware Smartdrive replacement?

I've been using Hyperdisk for over a year now, it is definitely
faster than PC-Kwik, smartdrive and V-cache. I really like the
Write-back (or staged-write), it will also do background writes.
Everything is configurable, also there are hot-keys that will
enable/disable cache, enable/disable staged-write etc.

Also the tech support is VERY responsive, they keep a BBS where
they post any updates to the program. It is well worth the
registration fee!!! Plus it works better than the commercial ones.

--
Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris@dms.UUCP
Voice	(408) 434-3798

rm@dx.sei.cmu.edu (Roger Moos) (08/01/90)

It's great to hear about hyperdrive - but could someone post where it
can be ftp'd from
or a bbs to download from.

Also has been running with Win3 okay !!

+*****************************************************************************+
   ____    ______   _____      _____=====       Roger Moos - CSC
  / __ \  | _____| |_   _|   _____=========     Resident Affiliate to the SEI
 _\___ \  |  __|     | | _____================= Software Engineering Institute
 | |__| | | |____   _| |_  _____=============   Carnegie-Mellon University
  \____/  |______| |_____|   _____=========     Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
+*****************************************************************************+
thanks to keith h. for the logo design

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (08/02/90)

From article <1990Jul31.133423.19743@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, by tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen):

> Well, to me it lloks like Hyperdisk is slower than SamrtDrive unless you
> enable write caching, and it takes another 7K of DOS memory, too --- which

Hyperdisk will load itself into Shadow-Ram on some 386 systems, especially
if you run qemm or 386^max, this saves your valuable lo memory.

> Personally I wouldn't take a chance by caching writes; a power failure or
> a system crash might wipe out what you thought had already been written
> to disk.

A power failure will probably wipe out your disk anyway, an extra 500ms wait
before the data writes out is unlikely to increase the risk by much. Unix
systems all do write-back caching, I usually put them on UPS's if I am really
paranoid, but my system at home is not on a UPS, and I have not had a problem
yet!!. Of course according to Murphy, the power-out will hit before you
have even saved the 2 hour editing session!! (I like to use editors with timed
back-up, just to annoy Murphy).

> If you want higher disk performance, consider a disk controller with a
> built-in cache.

Actually I believe you will find that a disk cache running on a 386 in 32-bit
memory will outperform a H/W disk cache. The memory read and write to a disk
cache on a pc bus is subject to the 16 bit 8Mhz bus speed, whereas a disk
cache stored in 32-bit memory has much faster access time. Of course using
both (If you have the money!!) would be the best solution.
--

From article <8064@fy.sei.cmu.edu>, by rm@dx.sei.cmu.edu (Roger Moos):
> It's great to hear about hyperdrive - but could someone post where it
> can be ftp'd from
> or a bbs to download from.

The hyperdisk BBS is on (408) 683-4988.

Hyperdisk is also available on Compuserve in MSWIN.

The latest version is on the BBS.

> Also has been running with Win3 okay !!

I have used it with win3 in enhanced mode for a week now with no
problems, and increased performance.

Also Hyperdisk overcomes the problems with 3rd party partitioning
that smartdrive has.

The registration fee is $35. (Non-commercial licence).

BTW I am just a happy Hyperdisk user, I have no connection with
Hyperdisk, although I have had excellent Tech Support from them.

--

abukarb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bassam A. Abu-Karroum) (08/02/90)

From article <1990Jul30.203704.13570@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, by george@shumv1.ncsu.edu (George Browning):

>> Has anyone tried Hyperdisk -- the new shareware Smartdrive replacement?
>>                  ^^^^^^^^^

This the first time I read about this. Can somebody please send me more info
about it and how to get a copy.

Thanx in advance.

Sam