[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Adjusting Cluster Size

barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy) (07/31/90)

Hi NetWorld

A friend of mine has a PS/2 (Dos 3.3) whose hard disk has been partitioned
in one 30meg and one 10 meg partitions,

For some reason, the 10-meg partition has 4K cluster, while the 30meg one has
2K clusters. Since my friend is using a lot of very small (X00 bytes) files,
he needs to get 2K clusters on the 10meg Partition.

How on earth can THAT be done ?

Thanks for your help

Olivier

-=-
Olivier Barthelemy       barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
MBA Student              1660 N 4th St, #2B, Columbus, Ohio 43201
French TA                Tel : (614)-294-3302 evenings
Computer consultant	 Permanent adress : 1 Q Mistral, 13120 Gardanne, France

suwalski@spock (Woody Suwalski) (07/31/90)

In article <3241@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy) writes:

>For some reason, the 10-meg partition has 4K cluster, while the 30meg one has
>2K clusters. Since my friend is using a lot of very small (X00 bytes) files,
>he needs to get 2K clusters on the 10meg Partition.

1. Partitions below 15.XMb are formated by DOS as 12-bit FAT, 4kb/cluster.
2. I fooled DOS with the following:
   Modify the SYST IND in the Master Boot sector (Partition Table)
   Replace there 01 (12 bit) with 04 (16 bit FAT)
   Similar operation for BOOT SECTOR of the partition.
   There you need to specify the cluster size (DOS 3.1 does not like to go
    beneath 2k clusters, other allowed 1k as well).
   Reformat the disk.... and thats it....

Woody

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (08/02/90)

In article <3241@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy) writes:

> For some reason, the 10-meg partition has 4K cluster, while the 30meg one has
> 2K clusters. Since my friend is using a lot of very small (X00 bytes) files,
> he needs to get 2K clusters on the 10meg Partition.
That's easy. Just repartition to two partitions of over 16 megs.  All
partitions from 1 - 16 megs have 4 k clusters.  Partitions from 16 - 128k
have 2k clusters.

-- cj
in size from 1 - 16 megs are 4