[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Hi-Res VGA boards & Monitors

wasnsr@nmt.edu (T.O.R.S.O.) (07/27/90)

	I am getting ready to buy a hi-res monitor and card, but I am
	having trouble choosing which card and monitor.  I would them to
	be able to display 1024 X 768 in 256 colors.  So for these are my
	choices:

			MONITORS

		       NEC  3D
		       SONY 1304
		       SEIKO CM1440 & 1450
		       PRINCETON 14" ULTRASYNC

			CARDS

		       ATI VGA WONDER w/ 512K
		       ATI VGA WONDER +  w/ 1MB
		       ORCHID PRODESIGNER II w/ 512K or 1MB
		       VIDEO SEVEN VRAM VGA w/512K
		       SIGMA VGA LEGEND w/512K or 1

	If anybody has any experience with any of the above boards and monitors
	I would appreciate hearing your comments about them.  If you dislike or        like one of them, please tell my why.  Or, if you have any suggestions 	      about any other items besides the ones listed above, I would appreciate
	your advice.  Please either leave a response on the net or email me at

							wasnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu

						Thanks,
						   Wayne

akcs.gregc@ddsw1.MCS.COM (*Greg*) (07/29/90)

Hi Wayne,

Did you check out the Relisys 15" Flatscreen 1520?  It's a nice monitor.

30 - 50 kHz Freq.
Cost just as much as the Sony 1304.  The Dot Pitch might be more but with a
flatscreen design it would look alot better.  This monitor is also non-
interlaced.

Get the Video Seven VRAM w/512k card.  Thats a fast card and you wont be
sorry with it.  The Orchid is nice but get the Pro Designer II though.

Here's mud in your eye.  ;-)

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul27.052426.27554@nmt.edu>, wasnsr@nmt.edu (T.O.R.S.O.) writes:

> 	I am getting ready to buy a hi-res monitor and card, but I am
> 	having trouble choosing which card and monitor.  [..]
> 	If anybody has any experience with any of the above boards and monitors
> 	I would appreciate hearing your comments about them.  If you dislike or        like one of them, please tell my why.  Or, if you have any suggestions 	      about any other items besides the ones listed above, I would appreciate
> 	your advice.  Please either leave a response on the net or email me at

I would recommend choosing a monitor that supports a particular resolution when
NOT interlaced.  I believe, for example, that the nec 3d is interlaced.

derek
--
Derek Terveer						det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Minnesota Field Hockey Association, North Central Section

ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) (08/02/90)

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:

>In article <1990Jul27.052426.27554@nmt.edu>, wasnsr@nmt.edu (T.O.R.S.O.) writes:
>>
>> 	I am getting ready to buy a hi-res monitor and card, but I am
>> 	having trouble choosing which card and monitor.  [..]

>I would recommend choosing a monitor that supports a particular resolution when
>NOT interlaced.  I believe, for example, that the nec 3d is interlaced.

Actually, the NEC 3d will operate interlaced or non-interlaced, depending
on the kind of video signal you feed it...

>derek
>--
>Derek Terveer						det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
>Minnesota Field Hockey Association, North Central Section
>University of Minnesota Women's Lacrosse
--
This is MY opinion.  My employer can't have any of it....  So there.
Ben Thornton             packet:  WD5HLS @ KB5PM   Internet:  ben@val.com

jory@trsvax.UUCP (08/03/90)

 Duncan Murdoch writes:
> The NEC 3D is perfectly capable of 800x600
>non-interlaced, and has a maximum rating of 960x720 (I think) non-interlaced.
>It handles 1024x768 fine in interlaced mode, and is reportedly able to
>handle it non-interlaced too:  I don't know, because my ATI VGA Wonder card
>only provides the interlaced mode.

According to the documentation that came with my ATI VGA Wonder card (with
512K of memory), it can handle 1024X768 in either interlaced or non-
interlaced mode.  However, the documentation that came with my NEC 3D
states that it will do 1024X768 in non-interlaced mode only.  Thus, the
limiting factor is not the video card, but the monitor in my case.  Is it
because you only have 256K of memory which limits your video card to
a non-interlaced signal at 1024X768 resolution?

jory@trsvax.UUCP (08/03/90)

Let me correct my previous posting:

 >According to the documentation that came with my ATI VGA Wonder card (with
 >512K of memory), it can handle 1024X768 in either interlaced or non-
 >interlaced mode.  However, the documentation that came with my NEC 3D
 >states that it will do 1024X768 in non-interlaced mode only.  Thus, the
 >limiting factor is not the video card, but the monitor in my case.  Is it
 >because you only have 256K of memory which limits your video card to
 >a non-interlaced signal at 1024X768 resolution?

I meant to say:
		   However, the documentation that came with my NEC 3D
 states that it will do 1024X768 in *interlaced* mode only.  Thus, the
 limiting facter is not the video card, but the monitor in my case.  Is it
 because only have 256K of memory which limits your video card to
 an *interlaced* signal at 1024X768?