[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Where to get Windows 3.0 Devel Kit?

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (07/25/90)

Microsoft says that the Windows 3.0 Devel package goes for $500.00 retail,
and requires Microsoft C 5.1 or 6.0, C 6.0 goes for $495 retail.

Does anyone know where I get get both of the above for a reasonable price?

---jb

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (08/03/90)

As promised, here is my summary:

In article <4084@rodan.acs.syr.edu> I wrote:
 >Could some kind soul tell me where I can get the following items for the
 >minimum prices?
 >
 >  - Microsoft C 6.0
 >  - Microsoft SDK (Software Development Kit)
 >  - Microsoft Mouse
 >  - Microsoft Windows 3.0
 >
 >They don't have to be from the same vendor - I'm just trying to save $$.

It seems that the best place to get this stuff is from Software Add-Ons,
(800) 822-8088.  Their ad in Byte (p.205).  I actually had almost ordered stuff
from Programmer's Paradise, until I found out that since I was in New York,
they were going to charge me tax, which would be at LEAST $50. The prices in
the Software Add-Ons ad were cheaper by $70, plus they are in NH, so NO TAX.
The prices I got were as follows:

    Microsoft C 6.0     $299
    Microsoft SDK       $309
    MS Mouse+Win 3.0    $139

I forgot that I'll also need some extended RAM, so I found an R&R Electronics
ad (404) 368-1777, they sell 9 bit 256KB SIMMs for $22 a piece, so I bought a
Meg for $88. So the total for the whole sh-bang is $860.39 (inc. shipping).

I got a few offers from people to sell me their C 6.0 update coupons or to buy
directly from them, but since this is a company purchase, it has to be an
"official" type purchase.

Thanks for all the responses
---jb