[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Tape Backup?

cca10@cl.cam.ac.uk (Christopher Anderton) (07/19/90)

In article <4334@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:
>I am thinking of getting a tape backup to backup my hard disk on my PC, and
>would like to know what kind of experiences that people have had with their
>systems.  Specifically,
>
>     o Which brand of tape backup do you have?

I use a PS2Tape Internal Backup Unit on a PS/2-80.

>     o How long does it take to do a full backup?

About 45 minutes (upper limit) on a 115Mb disk though it depends on the
fragmentation.

>     o What is the cost?

For both drive and software you will pay somewhat less that 1000 pounds stirling
but my memory is a bit hazy and prices have altered since I ordered.

>     o How much can you store on a single tape?

80 or 120 Mb (depending on format)

>     o Is any compression used, and if so, how much compression is done?

Doesn't appear to be used.

>     o Have you verified the integrity of the backup?

Yes, succesfully though on small scale.

>     o Which software do you use to do the backup?

IBM PS2Tape Internal Tape Backup Program

>     o Any problems with it?

No problems backing up. Human stupidity is always tough. The main problem is
that this program needs 430K (approx) of memory to run in. If less than this is
provided then the program can slow to a crawl. I have a separate config.sys for
backing up (as I run a network server off the 80 I have quite a few drivers
in there).

>     o Would you recommend the tape backup that you have?

If you want regular (and incremental) backups off a PS2 then you could do
worse, however I have limited experience of other backups. My old PDP backed
up onto 5.25" floppies (YES!!) and before I got a tape backup unit (a couple
of weeks after getting here 8-) ) backups (infrequent) were on 3.5" floppy.

Chris Anderton

Chris Anderton :: CCA10@UK.AC.CAM.PHX  "Meaningless, Meaningless", said the
               :: CCA10@UK.AC.CAM.CUS  Teacher. "Utterly Meaningless! Everything
               :: CCA10@UK.AC.CAM.CL   is Meaningless."

akcs.gregc@ddsw1.MCS.COM (*Greg*) (07/24/90)

Wangtek backup is expensive but its a nice backup.  Very fast and reliable.

There is a 250 meg backup for 799.00 and the 525 meg for 949.00  (Plus extra
tape cartridges)

The next affordable step is Colorado Memory Systems.  They come (NOW) with
a card standard so you dont have to use an existing controller.

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (07/28/90)

In article <26ac6def-322a.3comp.ibmpc-1@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, akcs.gregc@ddsw1.MCS.COM (*Greg*) writes:
> The next affordable step is Colorado Memory Systems.  They come (NOW) with
> a card standard so you dont have to use an existing controller.

Yes, but i've heard that it is pretty lousy to use with unix -- probably ok
with dos.  Depends a lot on what os you are using.  Be careful!
--
Derek Terveer						det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Minnesota Field Hockey Association, North Central Section

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Jul19.101620.2987@cl.cam.ac.uk> cca10@phx.cam.ac.uk (Christopher Anderton) writes:
>In article <4334@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:
>>I am thinking of getting a tape backup to backup my hard disk on my PC, and
>>would like to know what kind of experiences that people have had with their
>>systems.  Specifically,
>>     o Which brand of tape backup do you have?
>I use a PS2Tape Internal Backup Unit on a PS/2-80.

This is an Irwin Tape Backup unit re-marketed by IBM.

>>     o How much can you store on a single tape?
>80 or 120 Mb (depending on format)

Depending on TAPE LENGTH.

It uses DC2000 tapes for 80 MB uncompressed storage, and will achieve
120 MB if you use the EXTENDED LENGTH DC2000 tapes. The extended length
tapes are 1.5x longer than the regular DC2000 tapes, so you get 1.5x normal
storage no matter WHAT drive you're using (assuming the drive supports the
longer tapes.)

>>     o Is any compression used, and if so, how much compression is done?
>Doesn't appear to be used.

Although I've heard a rumor that new IRWIN drive software might have
compression (definitly *NO* hardware compression)
Anybody know?

>>     o Have you verified the integrity of the backup?
>Yes, succesfully though on small scale.

I backup frequently, and have never had an error.

>>     o Which software do you use to do the backup?
>IBM PS2Tape Internal Tape Backup Program

Again, a program written by Irwin.

>>     o Would you recommend the tape backup that you have?

YES.
But I sure wish there was a good software package to aid backing up an
AIX system with this machine.  I use AIX, and the Unix backup command
with this drive. It's not as fast as a DOS backup, and much more dificult
to use. Apparently support for the IBM PS/2 Internal Tape Backup was an
after thought by IBM. You have to gp through great pains to find a person
at IBM that knows ANYTHING about the tape backup *AND* AIX, and get them
to LET YOU ORDER the AIX drivers. (but it does work)
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2