[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Game wanted: EGA/VGA Fighter Game

curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis) (07/21/90)

I have F-19, F-15 II, Falcon AT, Their Finest Hour, and Microsoft
Flight Sim 4.0.  These games all have different game to realism
ratios.  I rate these games as follows:
 F-19: great graphics, not very realistic control, but there is
	   alot of things going on in each flight to keep you busy.
	   Fantastic documentation, very easy for the beginner.
	   Overall a good game but not the most realistic.

F-15: Purley a game, great graphics, but totally unrealistic.  This
	  one should not be called a flight simulator because it is
	  really a game. Ok documentation but very easy game,  this one
	  is really only good for children.
	  Overall not highly recomened.

Falcon AT: pretty good graphics and totally realistic. This was my
	  first Flight Simulator and is still my favorite.  It is the
	  hardest to play, but it does have a 5 playing levels with the
	  fifth behaving EXACTLY like an F-16 in real life. Good docs
	  and totally responsive to controls. This game even makes you
	  black out if you pull to many Gs for to long :-).
	  Overall highly recommended if you really want a challenge.

Their Finest Hour: great graphics and excellent playability. This
      is probably the funnest game I own. The game has so many
	  different features that there is always something new to
	  do.  While not totally a simulator you go have excelent control
	  of your aircraft.  In this game you can fly British fighters
	  or German fighters or bombers, you can even be the pilot
	  or gunner or bomber on the German planes. Fantastic documentation
	  Overall very highly reccomended. Go out and buy this game, you
			  will not be disappointed.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0: Excellent graphics, I mean fantastic
	  detail when played in 640x480 although you need a fast 386
	  to have a good frame rate.  This simulator is just like flying
	  a real Cessna or Lear jet or whatever you choose.  You have
	  total control over weather, ground traffic, every detail can
	  be changed.  You can even design and fly your own planes.
	  Overall very highly reccomended.

That pretty much sums it up. If you want realism get Falcon AT or
Flight Simulator. If you want great graphics with less realism and
get F-19. I think you should get Their Finest Hour regardless of what
you want.
I think there should be a group called comp.sys.ibm.games. Let try
to start one.

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (07/22/90)

In article <1990Jul21.035737.5524@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> draper@cpsin1.uucp (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>Speaking of Microsoft's flight simulator version 4, is it better than 3?
>I found ver.3 to be incredibly unresponsive to fly. There's nothing
>worse than pressing a key and nothing happens for 2 seconds --- even on
>a 20 Mhz 386 machine!

I never found v3 to be slow, but v4 needs more compute power than v3. I could
use v3 on an 8088 based machine, but v4 is totally unflyable on such a machine.
It is ok on a 386, in fact, there is now an 80386 configuration choice.

My major gripes about v4:
1) Maps are no longer included, you have to send away for the "free" maps,
   and pay a shipping and handling charge. Since you can't really fly from one
   airport to another without a map, this is really shoddy on MS's part.
2) The bugs that kept some of the autopilot functionality from working except
   in the Chigago area (gee, guess where the program was developed?) in version
   3 are still there.
3) Most of the improvements in v4 are somewhat shallow -- the ground radio is
   a joke, as well as the airport trafic (other planes can taxi right through
   you.  I also don't quite believe the automatic weather generation actually
   works as advertised.
4) Can't they make cloud layers that work like cloud layers? Well,  maybe not.

>I think there's a second Chuck Yeager program out there, does anybody
>have any comments on that?

I have it (as well as the first). I like it better than the first, except you
cannot get coordinate readouts to find your location anymore (there is only
an indicator that tells you where to aim the plane to get to the airport.
The choice of planes are terrific, and each has a different control panel
which obscures the view. It will run in 640x350 EGA mode now, but only if you
turn off the control panel display (boo-hiss).

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

nxh@mead.UUCP (Nobuya Higashiyama) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul21.035737.5524@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> draper@cpsin1.uucp (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>Does anybody have any other recommendations for flight simulators?
>Would anybody recommend something called 'Flying with the Blue Angels'?

I played this game for a couple days and got bored with it really fast.  It's
an air show simulation, where you get to fly one of the Blue Angels' jets.
The flight path is laid out for you, and when you deviate too much from it, the
game is over.  Some of the graphics is kinda neat, but expect to get bored with
it within a couple hours.

>Patrick Draper   ---- Michigan State University

BTW, discussions about PC games can be found in rec.games.misc -- notice the

									Higgy
--
Nobuya "Higgy" Higashiyama                     |  ____/|
Data Integrity Systems                         |  \ o.O|  Vote for Bill in '92!

jalbert@cs.ubc.ca (Francois Jalbert) (07/24/90)

I noticed in:

>Article 34 of comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc:
>From: curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis)
>
>Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0: Excellent graphics, I mean fantastic
>	  detail when played in 640x480 although you need a fast 386
                                ^^^^^^^

Well, I have FS 3.0 and I just bought a VGA adapter. I was very
disappointed to realize that my FS 3.0 supports only VGA 640*350
in 16 colors. That is, no better than EGA. I went to my local
software shop and asked them about FS 4.0 and they told me it still
had no VGA support at 640*480. So what's the deal? Is there really
such a driver? Can you get drivers from MS? I'd rather just get a
driver update than buy FS 4.0 since I'm quite happy otherwise with FS
3.0.

>I think there should be a group called comp.sys.ibm.games. Let try
>to start one.

Good idea! Franky

rafael@hpspdra.HP.COM (Rafael Miranda) (07/30/90)

/ hpspdra:comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc / curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis) /  9:54 am  Jul 21, 1990 /
[...]

James.Fleming@f9.n391.z8.fidonet.org (James Fleming) (08/06/90)

If you like detailed combat simulations Falcon AT is very good. It
is very fast and the graphics are pretty good. However it is very
realistic and therefore alot of reading is necessary in preparation
for your first flight. The last time I checked it was available
through Computrend for about $26.