[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] lets make comp.sys.MISC.games

dalessio@motcid.UUCP (Mario D'Alessio) (08/02/90)

In article <855@uncw.UUCP>, curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis) writes:
>  Lets start a new games group called comp.sys.ibm.games. I know that
>  there are thousands of you fellow netters that play games, so lets
>  start a new group that deals only with games!

I'm sure there are many of us who have more than one computer. I
have three: IBM compatible, Atari ST, and a C-64. My suggestion is
that there be a comp.sys.MISC.games instead of comp.sys.IBM.games.
This way people can ask questions about games for any computer.
Also, tips for a game for one computer may apply to the same game
for another computer. All would benefit, not just PC owners.

*   Mario D'Alessio                     Motorola, Inc.                    *
*   motcid!marble!dalessio              Cellular Infrastructure Division  *

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/03/90)

dalessio@motcid.UUCP (Mario D'Alessio) writes:

> I'm sure there are many of us who have more than one computer. I
> have three: IBM compatible, Atari ST, and a C-64. My suggestion is
> that there be a comp.sys.MISC.games instead of comp.sys.IBM.games.

As has been mentioned, there are already a plethora of games-oriented
groups under the rec.games.* heading. As well, the comp.sys.ibm.*
headings are being replaced with comp.os.msdos.*...

Please, let's keep comp.* technical... gamers can read the rec.* groups.
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | #include <stdio.h>                 | Does virtual
    now available at:   | main(){                            | reality need

tanida@odin.css.gov (Tom Tanida) (08/07/90)

The problem with just rec.games.* is that there's no mention of
computer gaming at all- so any games could apply.  I like the idea of
MISC over IBM since many games are made for different formats.
How about rec.games.computer or something?  I'm open to suggestions...

-Tom

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (08/08/90)

tanida@odin.css.gov (Tom Tanida) writes:

>The problem with just rec.games.* is that there's no mention of
>computer gaming at all- so any games could apply.  I like the idea of
>MISC over IBM since many games are made for different formats.
>How about rec.games.computer or something?  I'm open to suggestions...

>-Tom

I thought there was a rec.games.programmer group? Surely that's the one
you all want (you are all writing games, not just playing them, aren't you?)

I wonder though at the distribution. I don't think all sites take the rec.*
groups.

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (08/09/90)

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
> I wonder though at the distribution. I don't think all sites take the rec.*
> groups.

This has nothing to do with anything.  Gee, let's create comp.sex.pictures
too, since more sites get comp.* than alt.*!  And, while we're at it,
why not sci.nude, or perhaps news.forsale?

Besides, this discussion is in the wrong place.  Discussion about a
new newsgroup should go in news.groups, not comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc.
Please respect the Followup-To: header.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (08/09/90)

In article <565@esosun.UUCP>, tanida@odin.css.gov (Tom Tanida) writes:
> The problem with just rec.games.* is that there's no mention of
> computer gaming at all- so any games could apply.  I like the idea of
> MISC over IBM since many games are made for different formats.
> How about rec.games.computer or something?  I'm open to suggestions...
>
> -Tom

How about rec.games.misc?  That's where the majority of computer-related
gaming discussions are taking place, RIGHT NOW!  No single format is
predominant; games from many platforms (including home video) are discussed
there.

I strongly believe that the proposed new group is unnecessary and redundant.

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what