[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Smalltalk V/286 crashes system

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (08/07/90)

After upgrading a few of our AT-machines to 5MB RAM each in order to
have our textinterpretation-prototype written in ST V/286 running, we all
sit here with long faces:-{
1. The test-program (test286) ran without complaint.
2. Programs working with protected mode run (Windows 3.0)
3. ST starts, but crashes after any input (keyboard, mouse)  with:
   Exception 0D:
   General protection fault
   Error code/selector 0050

We tried a lot of different mouse-drivers and mouses, exchanged the rams, etc.
The hardware and bios are:
Magix AT286 with Neatboard 12/16 MHz.
RAM is 5 MB including 4 Simm-modules with 1MB each, 70nS fast.
Bios: DTK Neat Bios Ver 3.25N4 dated 08/24/89

We would be very happy about any hint to resolving the problem.
Thanks very much in advance -
Thomas
-------
Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11
   Project ATLAS - Computer Based Tools for Qualitative Research
         "Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle
      for the transformation of tradition." (WINOGRAD/FLORES)

klimas@astro.pc.ab.com (08/08/90)

In article <90219.112325MUHRTH@DB0TUI11.BITNET>, MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:
> 3. ST starts, but crashes after any input (keyboard, mouse)  with:
>    Exception 0D:
>    General protection fault
>    Error code/selector 0050

	I saw something like this about a year ago but Digitalk fixed the
	problem in their vitual machine.  Are you sure you're working with
	a recent copy of V.EXE?  You might FAX this problem description
	to Digitalk. FAX (213)-645-1306.

klimas@astro.pc.ab.com (08/08/90)

In article <90219.112325MUHRTH@DB0TUI11.BITNET>, MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:
> 3. ST starts, but crashes after any input (keyboard, mouse)  with:
>    Exception 0D:
>    General protection fault
>    Error code/selector 0050

	We had experienced this problem around the end of 1988, it was caused
	by a problem in one of the ST/V286 video drivers and Digitalk fixed
	it by 12/12/88.  Check the date on your V.EXE and if it's older,
	rev up.  Otherwise give Digitalk a repeatable example and they'll
	probably have a bug fix in a short while.

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (08/09/90)

In <90219.112325MUHRTH@DB0TUI11.BITNET> MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:

>3. ST starts, but crashes after any input (keyboard, mouse)  with:
>   Exception 0D:
>   General protection fault
>   Error code/selector 0050

>We tried a lot of different mouse-drivers and mouses, exchanged the rams, etc.
>The hardware and bios are:
>Magix AT286 with Neatboard 12/16 MHz.
>RAM is 5 MB including 4 Simm-modules with 1MB each, 70nS fast.
>Bios: DTK Neat Bios Ver 3.25N4 dated 08/24/89

This sounds rather like a problem I had when I first used ST V/286.
In my case, it turned out there was a bug in the cursor management
methods that caused an invalid image to be saved.  They missed the bug
because these methods are never used if the cursor is managed by a
mouse driver.  (Yes, I'm a non-mouse diehard.)  I know you use various
mice, but is it possible that you ran your initial tests with no mouse
driver installed?  That would leave you with a nonusable image.

They sent me a fix (it's a painfully simple bug), but it's pretty old
and I don't even know if it applies, so you should probably get it
from them directly.  And if it really is the same bug, you can avoid
it just by always booting with the mouse driver installed.

Digitalk seems to have a pretty responsive support department.
Probably you're thinking that doesn't do you much good from 7 or 8
time zones away.  What you probably ought to do is send mail to their
Compuserve account.  I'm afraid I don't know what their account number
is, but you can send mail to Compuserve at xxxxx.xxx@compuserve.com,
where xxxx.xxx is the Compuserve account number, with the "," changed
to a ".".

And what *they* ought to do is monitor this group.
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA

	"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know!"
			-- Ralph Waldo Emerson