[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for terminal emulator with perks.

bezenek@plains.NoDak.edu (Todd M. Bezenek KO0N) (08/08/90)

I use kermit as a terminal emulator.  It seems to me that there are
a couple of very important things missing from kermit and all of the
other terminal emulators that I have used.  They are:

	o  A 43 line mode.
	o  Smooth scrolling.

     If anyone knows of a terminal emulator that has either of these
features, please let me know.

Thank you,

Todd
--
Todd Michael Bezenek                  Internet:  bezenek@plains.nodak.edu
Amateur Radio Station KO0N            UUCP:      uunet!plains!bezenek

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (08/09/90)

In <5433@plains.UUCP> bezenek@plains.NoDak.edu (Todd M. Bezenek KO0N) writes:
>	o  A 43 line mode.
Why?  This might be handy for talking to hosts that expect teletypes (real or
glass), but full-screen hosts expect say, a VT-100, to have 24 display lines
and so will never make use of the extra 18--you'll just have to squint to
read the tiny characters.  Seriously, developing device-independent
communications displays (XWindows, or distributed applications) is a much
more sensible step than kludging more lines onto an imitation of 15-year-old
technology.

>	o  Smooth scrolling.
I've seen this on a PC, once.  I think you have to do nasty things to the
registers on the video card, and even then I'm not sure that you can smoothly
scroll *part* of the screen.  Again, this looks like a feature where mucho
time and effort yields negligible payoff....
                                                 Dave

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (08/10/90)

In article <312@saxony.pa.reuter.COM>, dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:
> In <5433@plains.UUCP> bezenek@plains.NoDak.edu (Todd M. Bezenek KO0N) writes:
> >	o  A 43 line mode.
> Why?  This might be handy for talking to hosts that expect teletypes (real or
> glass), but full-screen hosts expect say, a VT-100, to have 24 display lines
> and so will never make use of the extra 18--you'll just have to squint to
> read the tiny characters.

Some hosts _do_ in fact allow you to set the number of lines > 24 -
DEC's VMS, for example!  This can actually be useful if you are
editing files - you can see more context (if I'm running on a
DECwindows environment I usually set the page length to 48, though
of course that's on a bigger monitor than what's usually found on
a PC and the terminal emulator window is rather taller than a normal
monitor aspect ratio ...).  What's legible is somewhat subjective,
and dependent on the size of the monitor used.  Even on small
monitors the tiny characters can still sometimes be useful since you
get more context.  And DEC's latest character-mode terminals (the
VT420, the descendant of the VT100) allow you to set the page length
to 36 or 48, though I will grant that the result may not be legible
for everyone.

> Seriously, developing device-independent communications displays
> (XWindows, or distributed applications) is a much more sensible
> step than kludging more lines onto an imitation of 15-year-old
> technology.

I'm not sure I disagree with the statement that this is a _better_
technology.  But in the meantime, it's a fairly _expensive_ technology
(though it _is_ getting quite a bit cheaper), and we'll have old
hardware floating around that can support 43 or 48 lines but not
XWindows for some years into the future (why replace it when it still
works fine for almost all of the things you're using it for?).  In
light of this I think it's perfectly reasonable to look for software
that supports more lines on a PC screen.

I think I remember someone saying that Procomm supported this, but
I'm not certain and am not familiar with the product.

						Bruce C. Wright

jearly@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (John Early) (08/11/90)

In article <4014@rtifs1.UUCP> bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:

   In article <312@saxony.pa.reuter.COM>, dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:
   > In <5433@plains.UUCP> bezenek@plains.NoDak.edu (Todd M. Bezenek KO0N) writes:
   > >	o  A 43 line mode.
   > Why?  This might be handy for talking to hosts that expect teletypes (real or
   > glass), but full-screen hosts expect say, a VT-100, to have 24 display lines
   > and so will never make use of the extra 18--you'll just have to squint to
   > read the tiny characters.

}   I think I remember someone saying that Procomm supported this, but
}   I'm not certain and am not familiar with the product.

}						   Bruce C. Wright

No, Procomm doesn't; this is one of the very few failings of Procomm.

Are there machines that don't know how to deal with larger screens?
With the exception of an aging IBM4381-Q14, all the machines (that I use)
here at Lehigh will support >24X80.  Even most BBS systems can be set to
any size terminal.

John.

John Early                             |
jearly@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu        |  I was just a child then;
JPE1@Lehigh.Bitnet                     |  now I'm only a man.  [pf]
LUJPE@VAX1.cc.lehigh.edu               |