[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] QEMM 5.0 & 3Com 3C503 Conflict

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) (08/10/90)

I was installing my new 386 machine (Gateway-2000 33Mhz, 150MB ESDI,
4MB, Micronics Motherboard) and I ran into a serious snag.  I was able
to get QEMM up and running quite nicely until I installed my ethernet
card, a 3Com 3C503.  If the card is installed, the machine will cold
boot itself almost immediately after QEMM displays its signon
message.  I played with several command line options, even the ones
not in the documentation.  The best results were obtained by not
connecting my ethernet card to the net, and setting the QEMM flags
NOTOKENRING, LOCKDMA, NOSORT.  With this configuration, some of the
time the machine would sucessfully boot and I could then attach the
network cable and everything worked fine.  Even in a DesqView Window!

Does anyone know of any such conflicts and/or workarounds.  I was
really looking forward to QEMM+DV, but I need the networking too.

Thanks in advance.

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu (08/11/90)

In article <1033@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
> I was installing my new 386 machine (Gateway-2000 33Mhz, 150MB ESDI,
> 4MB, Micronics Motherboard) and I ran into a serious snag.  I was able
> to get QEMM up and running quite nicely until I installed my ethernet
> card, a 3Com 3C503.  If the card is installed, the machine will cold
> boot itself almost immediately after QEMM displays its signon
> message.

Did you tried explicitly exclude the RAM buffer area of 3c503 using the /X...
switch?  I use QEMM+DV and micom NI5210 with excellent result. Do you have a
boot ROM on your card? I don't. And I don't run NOvell.
good luck!

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu

rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) (08/12/90)

I ran into the same problem at work when we set up our Novell network and
our 3C503 cards.  The solution for us was to explicitely exclude the memory
that the card is mapped into.  On our configuration the line reads

device=qemm.sys RAM exclude=cc00-ccff

The RAM line allows you to load drivers into high memory using LOADHI, and
the exclude tells QEMM not to use the ethernet card's DMA location.

Hope this helps..

Roger Preisendefer

tdoi@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Takeshi Doi) (08/12/90)

In article <32691@cup.portal.com> rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William
Preisendefer) writes:
>The solution for us was to explicitely exclude the memory
>that the card is mapped into.  On our configuration the line reads
>     device=qemm.sys RAM exclude=cc00-ccff
>The RAM line allows you to load drivers into high memory using LOADHI, and
>the exclude tells QEMM not to use the ethernet card's DMA location.

This works if your 3C503 is set to CC000.  There are 4 other memory
locations where a 3C503's DMA could be located.  Whichever
jumper you have your card set to it'll need 16K (3E80h) of high memory to
be excluded from QEMM's space.  If it's set at C0000 then use:

device=c:\dv\qemm.sys EXCLUDE=C000-C3E8

Note the last digit is left off of QEMM's config line.  It already knows
the proper segment.
Some versions of QEMM will take the ADAPTERROM= parameter, others
require EXCLUDE=.  This works with both Novell and Banyan networks.
PC-NFS on the other hand, only works with DMA disabled.