[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] need to diskcopy 1.2Mb to 1.44Mb, any ideas?

alan@km4ba.UUCP (Alan Barrow) (08/12/90)

For obscure reasons I won't bore ya'll with, I need to diskcopy
some 1.2Mb floppies to 1.44Mb. DOS diskcopy works fine from
1.2 to 1.2, even though the disk are not dos disks.

I tried an option board, but it does not support this
operation.

I vaugely remember some PD sw that would allow diskcopies
to dissimilar disks.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Alan Barrow km4ba
..!gatech!kd4nc!km4ba!alan

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (08/14/90)

Copy the boot sector from the 1.2mb to the 1.4 mb and then you should
be able to use diskcopy. (Copying the boot sector makes the media
descriptor byte on the 1.4 disk be the same as for a 1.2).
--
Phone:	 (work) 219-482-9631; MCI mail: DFEUSTEL
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (08/14/90)

I missed the original question, but my answer would be to use xcopy. It's
faster on large- or many-file copying since it uses a BIG memory buffer,
and it's not bad at all to use. It's one of the best utilities IBM/uSoft
put in there....

	  When you're up to your butt in alligators, it's difficult
	to remember that the initial objective was to drain the swamp.
					-- traditional
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/14/90)

alan@km4ba.UUCP (Alan Barrow) writes:

> For obscure reasons I won't bore ya'll with, I need to diskcopy
> some 1.2Mb floppies to 1.44Mb. DOS diskcopy works fine from
> 1.2 to 1.2, even though the disk are not dos disks.

I'm afraid you're out of luck. Diskcopy makes, in effect, a photograph
of the original disk on the target disk. This includes the physical
arrangement of the data on the disk. (that's why you make a copy of a
damaged disk with diskcopy and attempt recovery on the copy, rather than
the original) 1.2Mb and 1.44Mb disks are arranged differently to begin
with... so the 'picture' of the 1.2 won't fit on the 1.44.

If those boring details include moving some copy-protected software to
3.5" disks, the answer may be to contact the company and have them
supply the 3.5's. If the disks aren't DOS in the first place, you may
not be able to do this at all.
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | #include <stdio.h>                 | Does virtual
    now available at:   | main(){                            | reality need

sphilips@sun.udel.edu (Santosh S Philips) (08/15/90)

Re: The question about copying 1.2M to 1.44M
    from alan@km4ba.UUCP

I too misplaced the original article...
If there is copy-protection xcopy will not work.  The best solution
is to use a newer version >=5.0 of COPYIIPC.EXE   .  Central Point
Software is the company that puts it out. (I have no affiliation to
them!)

Copyiipc CAN make copies of software (even most protected) using unlike
drives.  To be sucessful the SOURCE drive has to be <= the size of the
TARGET drive.  A draw back is that the new "COPY" will be "seen" as, in
this case, as a 1.2M as opposed to the actual 1.44M it was intended to
be. (ref. to DOS disks...CHKDSK will verify this) .  I think this is
bacause the software is a track/sector copier.

I have seen it used to backup  360k to 1.44M drives...so 1.2M to 1.44M
probably would work.

Cheers
Santosh

evas@cs.eur.nl (Eelco van Asperen) (08/15/90)

cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>alan@km4ba.UUCP (Alan Barrow) writes:
>>
>> For obscure reasons I won't bore ya'll with, I need to diskcopy
>> some 1.2Mb floppies to 1.44Mb. DOS diskcopy works fine from
>> 1.2 to 1.2, even though the disk are not dos disks.
>
>I'm afraid you're out of luck. Diskcopy makes, in effect, a photograph
>of the original disk on the target disk. This includes the physical
>arrangement of the data on the disk. (that's why you make a copy of a
>damaged disk with diskcopy and attempt recovery on the copy, rather than
>the original) 1.2Mb and 1.44Mb disks are arranged differently to begin
>with... so the 'picture' of the 1.2 won't fit on the 1.44.

This can be done *if* you have a pc with both drives attached. Use the
setup program to change the CMOS parameters for the 3.5" drive to make
it appear like a 1.2Mb drive. Then you can use diskcopy to copy the disk
and restore the CMOS setting. I just used this trick to do this and it
worked o.k.

--
Eelco van Asperen.       uucp: evas@cs.eur.nl || asperen@hroeur5.bitnet
Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands || disclaimer ??