[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Wanted: Bit Bucket

jamesb@bushido (Jim Harvey) (08/13/90)

 Somebody please help.  We have an odd little problem that has been driving
 us crazy.  We are using Toshiba 1000 laptops running Procomm (not plus)
 as VT100 terminals to talk to Northern Telecom fiber multiplexers.  They
 have been very reliable and cost effective.

 The problem is, sometimes the laptop crashes.  We have traced this to
 the data logger feature in the multiplexer.  It seems this allows
 the mux'er to send error messages THROUGH a VT100 terminal to an attached
 printer.  Problem:  the laptops don't have a printer attached, so the
 terminal emulator bombs with a message to the effect that "device PRN
 not found".

 We have sort of solved the problem by issuing the following kludge:
   MODE LPT1: = COM2:
 which dumps the attempted print into the bit bucket because there is no
 COM2 on a T1000.  This does not work however, on any other laptop because:
   1.  Most laptops have a later DOS than the T1000's 2.11
   2.  Later versions of the MODE command check for the existance of
	   a device before allowing a diversion.

 What we need is something that will divert the PRN: device to NUL:  Does
 such a thing exist?  If so, could somebody mail it to me (I can't FTP)?

--
-------
Jim Harvey                      |

jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) (08/15/90)

jamesb@bushido (Jim Harvey) writes:

[ Despcription of problem involving Procomm trying to access nonoexistent
  printer, and crashing the system (T1000 laptop) deleted]

> What we need is something that will divert the PRN: device to NUL:  Does
> such a thing exist?  If so, could somebody mail it to me (I can't FTP)?

I use a TSR called PRN2FILE to redirect printer output to disk file.
I just tried loading it and redirecting to 'nul'.  I pressed PRTSCR and
watched the cursor scan my screen.  No file called 'c:\nul' appeared,
(though the program claimed to be redirecting to that name).  Seems to work.
It's available from simtel.

-jeff-