[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DAK 386SX for $1800

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (08/15/90)

The title about says it all...

The newest DAK catalog shows a 16 Mhz 386SX computer, 1 meg, 40 meg
hard disk, one each 5.25 and 3.5 disk drives,
serial and parallel ports, mouse, VGA display, lots of software, etc.
for $1800.  The computer maker is BSR (probably just OEM'ed).  Anyway,
does anyone know anything about this computer or BSR computers?  It
seems like a really good deal.  Also, the ad doesn't mention if the
computer comes with a VGA driver card; does anyone know if it does?

Thanks for any info,

Scott Linn
scott@hpcvcbh.hp.com

dwiseman@spsd4330a.erim.org (Dave Wiseman) (08/15/90)

PC Magazine just did a review on 'cheap' 386sx's.  The system requirements
that had to be met in order to be reviewed were:

	386sc machine
	2 Meg RAM (minimum)
	VGA w/ monitor
	60 Meg Hard Disk (minimum)
	1.2 Meg Floppy.
	Maximum Price $1850

I believe that over 20 machines met all of the criteria, and the winner
was $1700, and had an 84 Meg disk drive! If you are in the market for a
cheap (price) 386sx, I suggest you get a copy the magazine.
--
David Wiseman    dwiseman@spsd4330a.erim.org
Environmental Research Institute of Michigan

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (08/16/90)

In article <26770001@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM>, scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) writes:
> The newest DAK catalog shows a 16 Mhz 386SX computer, 1 meg, 40 meg
> hard disk, one each 5.25 and 3.5 disk drives,
> serial and parallel ports, mouse, VGA display, lots of software, etc.
> for $1800.  The computer maker is BSR (probably just OEM'ed).  Anyway,
> does anyone know anything about this computer or BSR computers?  It
> seems like a really good deal.  Also, the ad doesn't mention if the
> computer comes with a VGA driver card; does anyone know if it does?
>
> Scott Linn

The same DAK catalog also offers a CD-ROM drive for $499, plus a number
of CD-ROMs that are of interest to me.  Unfortunately, you can only get
the CD-ROM drive if you buy the BSR 386SX system also.  Well, I don't
want another computer -- just a reasonably priced CD-ROM drive!  I
presume (or at least hope) that there is a technical reason why DAK
only sells the CD-ROM drive bundled -- like a shared controller with
the hard disk.

Perhaps someone wants to buy the BSR, and sell me the CD-ROM?
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
"Our Constitution is color-blind.  The arbitrary separation of citizens,