[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MSC 6.00 delivery charges

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (07/28/90)

A couple of weeks ago when I received my MSC 6.0 update, I didn't think much
about it until yesterday I got a bill from the carrier (Airborne Express) for
delivery charges of $40.

What the *$#^&^*% gives?

Is this common practice for Microsoft to bill the recipient for shipping?
I thought one of the things I paid for when I ordered it (on my credit card)
was some $7.50 for shipping and handling.

Who would I talk to at Microsoft to find out why this is happening?

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

john@DRD.Com (John Horeth) (07/30/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) wrote:
}
} A couple of weeks ago when I received my MSC 6.0 update, I didn't think much
} about it until yesterday I got a bill from the carrier (Airborne Express) for
} delivery charges of $40.
}
} What the *$#^&^*% gives?
}
} Is this common practice for Microsoft to bill the recipient for shipping?
} I thought one of the things I paid for when I ordered it (on my credit card)
} was some $7.50 for shipping and handling.
}
} Who would I talk to at Microsoft to find out why this is happening?
}
}
} Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
} Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen
} 1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
} San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

I would definitely talk to someone.  I received my update from Microsoft
via Federal Express and I have received no bill.  Also the $7.50 was for
shipping and handling.

I would talk to both Microsoft and the shipping company in question, sounds
like they just got their wires crossed.

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (08/03/90)

In article <1990Jul27.181203.25496@sj.ate.slb.com>, poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
> A couple of weeks ago when I received my MSC 6.0 update, I didn't think much
> about it until yesterday I got a bill from the carrier (Airborne Express) for
> delivery charges of $40.
>
> What the *$#^&^*% gives?
>
> Is this common practice for Microsoft to bill the recipient for shipping?
> I thought one of the things I paid for when I ordered it (on my credit card)
> was some $7.50 for shipping and handling.
>
> Who would I talk to at Microsoft to find out why this is happening?
>

> Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
> Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen
> 1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
> San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

This has happened to me (once!) when a part was shipped using a
service that did not come to our part of the world (Federal Express).
They apparently gave the part to a freight forwarding service who
(after a day or two of deliberation and deep thought) gave it to Air Canada
(charging $30 for their trouble).  Air Canada then shipped it to me
and said I could pick it up as soon as *I* cleared it through customs
and paid the forwarding fees and their own fees (another $30).
Thank God it was RAM and didn't weigh anything!

As the sender acted in good faith as far as I could tell, I let it
ride and chalked it off to experience.  But you can be damn sure I
check out *HOW* a company I order from proposes to ship to me now.  In
truth, for a remote Canadian city like I live in, I have found the mail to be
about as good as anything since (1) nothing is going to arrive fast
anyway--sigh--and (2) the mail doesn't always flag my stuff for customs
or for paying the 13.5% Federal Sales tax (I average about 1 in 3 by
mail and 1 in 1 by air courier).

John Garland

Bitnet:    jgarland@mun
Internet:  jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca

bezenek@plains.UUCP (Todd M. Bezenek KO0N) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Jul30.164126.16710@DRD.Com> john@drd.Com (John Horeth) writes:
>I would definitely talk to someone.  I received my update from Microsoft
>via Federal Express and I have received no bill.  Also the $7.50 was for
>shipping and handling.

Well, on this note, when I bought Turbo C++ direct from Borland, they
paid the shipping.  It surprised me but also impressed me.

-Todd
--
Todd Michael Bezenek                  Internet:  bezenek@plains.nodak.edu
Amateur Radio Station KO0N            UUCP:      uunet!plains!bezenek

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (08/16/90)

In article <121871@kean.ucs.mun.ca> jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>In article <1990Jul27.181203.25496@sj.ate.slb.com>, poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>> A couple of weeks ago when I received my MSC 6.0 update, I didn't think much
>> about it until yesterday I got a bill from the carrier (Airborne Express) for
>> delivery charges of $40.
>>
>> What the *$#^&^*% gives?
>>
>> Is this common practice for Microsoft to bill the recipient for shipping?
>> I thought one of the things I paid for when I ordered it (on my credit card)
>> was some $7.50 for shipping and handling.
>>
>> Who would I talk to at Microsoft to find out why this is happening?
>>

>> Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
>> Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen
>> 1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
>> San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254
>

>This has happened to me (once!) when a part was shipped using a
>service that did not come to our part of the world (Federal Express).
>They apparently gave the part to a freight forwarding service who
>(after a day or two of deliberation and deep thought) gave it to Air Canada
>(charging $30 for their trouble).  Air Canada then shipped it to me
>and said I could pick it up as soon as *I* cleared it through customs
>and paid the forwarding fees and their own fees (another $30).
>Thank God it was RAM and didn't weigh anything!
>
>As the sender acted in good faith as far as I could tell, I let it
>ride and chalked it off to experience.  But you can be damn sure I
>check out *HOW* a company I order from proposes to ship to me now.  In
>truth, for a remote Canadian city like I live in, I have found the mail to be
>about as good as anything since (1) nothing is going to arrive fast
>anyway--sigh--and (2) the mail doesn't always flag my stuff for customs
>or for paying the 13.5% Federal Sales tax (I average about 1 in 3 by
>mail and 1 in 1 by air courier).

I can't believe that there is a problem shipping via ANY method to San Jose. In
fact, I got my SDK update from usoft via 2 day Fed-Ex. No problems there.