[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Boot program...

ckb@athena.mit.edu (Christopher K. Brown) (08/15/90)

I'm looking for a program to Boot a PC from the command line.  Source and/or
Binary would be helful.  An FTP site containing such a utility would be
extremely helpful.  Please Email replies.

Thanks.

Chris

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/16/90)

find it in ftp uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
directory ==> /tmp/darmawan
file name: boot.com 19 bytes
happy downloading!

richard@gara.une.oz.au (Richard Mackerras CCEN) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug15.152150.7124@athena.mit.edu>, ckb@athena.mit.edu (Christopher K. Brown) writes:
> I'm looking for a program to Boot a PC from the command line.  Source and/or
> Binary would be helful.  An FTP site containing such a utility would be
> extremely helpful.  Please Email replies.

Here is some assembler I picked up off the net a while ago. This can be
complied using debug < boot.asm.
----CUT HERE and save as BOOT.ASM----
a 100
jmp f000:fff0

r cx
5
n boot.com
---eof BOOT.ASM---

This is BOOT.COM uuencoded, long isn't it (5 bytes)
---cut---
begin 600 boot.com
%ZO#_`/``
`
end
---cut---

> extremely helpful.  Please Email replies.
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why the hell not share the info
with the rest of us hey!!!
richard@gara.une.oz.au

few@quad1.quad.com (Frank Whaley) (08/18/90)

In article <1990Aug15.152150.7124@athena.mit.edu>,
ckb@athena.mit.edu (Christopher K. Brown) writes:
>I'm looking for a program to Boot a PC from the command line.

A useful progam, and a fun use of debug.  Save the following lines
in makecom.bat, then execute 'makecom'.

REM Make reboot.com
debug < makecom.bat
goto end
e 0100 b8 40 00 8e d8 c7 06 72 00 34 12 ea 00 00 ff ff
n reboot.com
rcx
10
:end

--
Frank Whaley
Senior Development Engineer

Water separates the people of the world;
Wine unites them.

cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Ofer Inbar) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug15.152150.7124@athena.mit.edu> ckb@athena.mit.edu (Christopher K. Brown) writes:
>I'm looking for a program to Boot a PC from the command line.  Source and/or
>Binary would be helful.  An FTP site containing such a utility would be
>extremely helpful.  Please Email replies.

This is actually incredibly trivial.  When your system starts, the
Intel processor defaults to CS=FFFF, IP=0000.  So that's where the ROM
boot routines start (actually, a JMP to the proper place).

This is a program to reboot your computer: JMP FFFF:0000
Simple, isn't it?  If you have DEBUG (which comes with MSDOS), you can
create BOOT.COM like this:

C:\>debug
-a
????:0100 jmp ffff:0000
????:0105
-nboot.com
-rcx
0000
:5
-w
Writing 0005 Bytes.
-q
C:\>boot
<computer reboots>

The file BOOT.COM is 5 bytes long.  These bytes are, in order:
EA 00 00 FF FF
You can create it with a binary editor.

This simulates a "cold boot".  If you want to simulate a CTRL-ALT-DEL
type "warm boot", that is, skip the memory test, you simply have to
place a certain value somewhere in the BIOS data are before doing the
JMP.  Anyone remember what that number is, and where it goes?  (My
copy of Peter Norton Programmer's Guide is in another town :( )

If you're ambititious, you write a BOOT.COM that takes a command line
parameter, which tells it whether to do a warm boot or a cold boot.
This I have done, and as soon as I find that file (I seem to have lost
it) I will post it.

  --  Cos (Ofer Inbar)  --  cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu
  --  WBRS (BRiS)  --  WBRS@binah.cc.brandeis.edu  WBRS@brandeis.bitnet