[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Anyone dealt with TREDEX?

alpert@chovax.enet.dec.com (08/18/90)

I've been shopping around for my 1st PC-compatible machine for
home use and have been looking at the ads in Computer Shopper.
For the most part, 16Mhz 386SX machines (the type I've pretty much
decided on) seem to be running about 1400.00-1500.00 for a
monochrome system with a ~40 meg hard drive and 1 meg of core.

However, a company called Tredex in California is advertising
several "real" 386 boxes with VGA in this price range.  For
example, on P. 636 of the 8/90 edition of Computer Shopper they
offer a well-equipped (but unnamed) 20 MHz machine complete
with 4 Meg of core, 40 Meg hard drive, monchrome VGA (color w/.29 dot
pitch monitor for 200.00 more), mouse, DOS 4.01, and GW Basic.
(They also have 16 MHz 386 machines from ITT and "Maxar" for
a bit less.)  I note that the ad carries the "Computer Shopper
Best Buy of 1989" seal for whatever it's worth.

What is the catch here?  Has anyone out there dealt with
this company and/or purchased one of these machines?

Thanks in advance for any info!

  Bob Alpert       { alpert@chovax.dec.com            }  Suspicion breeds
  DEC              { ...!decwrl!chovax.dec.com!alpert }  confidence.
  Cherry Hill, NJ  { alpert%chovax.dec@decwrl.dec.com }

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (08/20/90)

In article <14669@shlump.nac.dec.com>, alpert@chovax.enet.dec.com writes:

> However, a company called Tredex in California is advertising
> several "real" 386 boxes with VGA in this price range.
> What is the catch here?  Has anyone out there dealt with
> this company and/or purchased one of these machines?

I had a bad experience with Tredex (which may be an isolated instance, but
has definitely made me leery of dealing with them again).  I purchased
a laptop computer and modem.  When I received the computer, the packing
list indicated that the modem had been shipped, but I did not receive
it.  Since there was no room for it in the computer box, I waited a couple
of days to see if it had been shipped separately.

The upshot of all this was that it took many phone calls, numerous letters,
several months, and a lot of hassle before I finally got the modem.  First
Tredex kept telling me that it was shipped separately and I should just
wait for it.  After that story got too old to be credible they started
telling me that UPS must have lost it in the original shipment and that
they were filing a claim for damages.  UPS took the position that since
the materials appeared undamaged that they were not responsible.  I still
don't know how it was worked out except that the modem finally showed up
one day.

I have been happy with both the modem and the computer since then.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.