[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WordPerfect 5.1 to Postscript

rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu (A. Joseph Rajkumar) (08/16/90)

Hi

  Could any of you please let me know if it is possible to save a file
in postscript or encapsulated postscript format using WordPerfert 5.1.

  I have somebody here who wants to print on a laser printer attached
to a NeXT computer. Well the document was created using WordPerfect 5.1

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Joseph Rajkumar

jean@pogo.hasler (08/16/90)

In article <5564@plains.NoDak.edu> rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu
(A. Joseph Rajkumar) writes:

>  Could any of you please let me know if it is possible to save a file
>in postscript or encapsulated postscript format using WordPerfert 5.1.
>
>  I have somebody here who wants to print on a laser printer attached
>to a NeXT computer. Well the document was created using WordPerfect 5.1

I guess you have WordPerfect 5.1 on IBM PC! However those comments
could apply for other machines.

1) You have to install the Postscript printer on your system from
   one of the installation diskette (Print menu, Select printer).
   I use currently the QMS PS 800 II.

2) After having selected that printer you will have to change the
   port number by specifying a file name (ex: output.ps) (Option
   3-Edit of Select printer).

3) Then every times you print you document the file 'output.ps'
   (postscript format) will be written to your disk.

4) Finally you will have to transfer your file on the NeXT using
   diskette or any type of link (I use Procomm and Kermit(binary)
   or ftp).

I do that often and it works fine. What I view on my PC (option 6
of the Print menu) is what I get printed (also with pictures).

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (08/16/90)

Just choose a postscript printer like the Apple laserwriter + IIntx or
the like and a file as output device. No problem.

In article <5564@plains.NoDak.edu> rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu (A. Joseph Rajkumar) writes:

>  Could any of you please let me know if it is possible to save a file
>in postscript or encapsulated postscript format using WordPerfert 5.1.
>  I have somebody here who wants to print on a laser printer attached
>to a NeXT computer. Well the document was created using WordPerfect 5.1

Under "Select Printer" select a suitable postscript model, then choose
"Edit" and set Port to "other" and you will be prompted for a filename
to store the printer output.  You will get printable postscript but
not EPS.   This is the procedure for WP 5.0, I doubt if it is changed
for 5.1.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

etxbjk@solsta.ericsson.se (Bjorn Karlsen TX/DKI) (08/16/90)

I have WP 5.0 on my PC at home and a laserprinter connected to
a Sun at work.
When I want to print documents on the laser, I choose a
postscript printer from the printer menu. I defined the
printer such that it prints to disk. Then I can upload the
postscript file via modem or bring a diskette with me to
work and just print it out the usual way.

I don't know if this works with WP 5.1.
Bj|rn Karlsen                                etxbjk@solsta.ericsson.se
Ericsson Telecom                            etx.etxbjk@memo.ericsson.se
S-652 21 Karlstad, SWEDEN                     etxbjk@lmej.ericsson.se
"Det einaste eg var stiv i p} skulen, var nakken" - Trond Kirkvaag

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (08/17/90)

>  Could any of you please let me know if it is possible to save a file
>in postscript or encapsulated postscript format using WordPerfert 5.1.

WP 5.1 can print to a disk file instead of a real printer. The resulting file
can be copied in binary mode directly to a printer. I have done this for
HP PCL printers.

You simply install the printer with a disk file name as the printer port.
Everything else is done exactly the same as if you had a real printer.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se (Gunnar Dahlstrom) (08/20/90)

In article <5564@plains.NoDak.edu> rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu (A. Joseph Rajkumar) writes:
>Hi
>
>  Could any of you please let me know if it is possible to save a file
>in postscript or encapsulated postscript format using WordPerfert 5.1.
>
>  I have somebody here who wants to print on a laser printer attached
>to a NeXT computer. Well the document was created using WordPerfect 5.1
>
>Any help will be really appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Joseph Rajkumar

You can do it this way:

Select Postscript printer and change the output port to a file!
The just print with this settings and you have your document un postscript format.

// Gunnar D
E-Mail: dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se