[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Shadow drives

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) (08/09/90)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on hardware for a
PC type computer. My father is considering computerizing his business,
but is very worried about loss of data from a disk failure. I have
heard references to "shadow drives" which apparently put the same data
on two drives for redundancy. Is my understanding correct? Does anyone
sell these drives as part of a system?

The system my father envisions is one "file-server" and about 6 to 8
"workstations" arround the office. What sort of software and hardware
would be needed. I would guess ethernet, but I am experianced with Sun
workstations, not the PC market. I have looked in some trade magazines
recently, and have seen references to a product named "Novell". Is
anyone aware of a good review of this product?

Sincerely;
--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

basil@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug9.015711.13895@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) writes:
> ...  I have
> heard references to "shadow drives" which apparently put the same data
> on two drives for redundancy. Is my understanding correct? Does anyone
> sell these drives as part of a system?

Cumulus Corp. ( a Connor OEM ) sells shadowing software and drives.
The phone number is (216) 464-2211, and a good contact is Paul Navish
(tech. support).
			---- Aaron