[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Impossible dream?

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (08/11/90)

The subject line says it all ... We have an ethernet LAN with a Novell server
and NFS hosts on the same wire.  We need more disk space for our DOS
users, but if we add a disk to the Novell server then NFS users can't
get to it.  It would be vastly preferable to have more NFS space, if the
space could be used by Unix and DOS users alike.

Is there any way to do this transparently, without rebooting?
Ideally I'd like to map DOS drive letters to Novell or NFS without the
user having to think about it.  I haven't seen any announcement of such
a thing, but I hope I missed something.

Thanks in advance.

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (08/12/90)

NFS clients for the PC that support the packet driver will allow you to
have both NFS and NetWare file systems mounted on a PC.
FTP Software's Interdrive, SUN's PCNFS, and others offer this.

wittmann@erb1.engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug10.213744.19592@intek01.uucp> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>The subject line says it all ... We have an ethernet LAN with a Novell server
>Is there any way to do this transparently, without rebooting?
>Ideally I'd like to map DOS drive letters to Novell or NFS without the
>user having to think about it.  I haven't seen any announcement of such
>a thing, but I hope I missed something.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
>mark@intek.com    		Ask me about C++!

There are a couple of solutions that might work for you.  First, you
could use a product called interdrive from ftp software.  It uses the
packet driver specification so you can run Novell software and FTP's
NFS stuff at the same time.  I'm not sure of FTP's address.  I think
you can get info over the net by mailing info@ftp.com, if not that
try the postmaster at ftp.com.

Some time this year (supposedly) Novell will be announcing NFS services
for netware 3.1.  I've met some of the people working on the project,
if you want more information on that product you can probably contact
Brian Meek (brian@novell.com).  The project is being done by some of the
former excellan engineers and should be pretty good.  You could then run
PC-NFS exclusively or put more disk space on your Netware system and
have your Unix clients access it there.

Depending on the type of Unix machines your running, you might be able to
use portable netware.  I've only heard of a few successful ports, none were
real popular Unix systems (from my point of view, which is to say none to
Dec, HP or SUN).

There's three possibilities (in the order that I would investigate them).
Any by the way, what do you think about C++?

Art

Art Wittmann                                  Phone: (608) 263-1748
Network Manager                               Email: wittmann@engr.wisc.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Center                or: wittmann@cae.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin, Madison

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug10.213744.19592@intek01.uucp> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>The subject line says it all ... We have an ethernet LAN with a Novell server
>and NFS hosts on the same wire.  We need more disk space for our DOS
>users, but if we add a disk to the Novell server then NFS users can't
>get to it.  It would be vastly preferable to have more NFS space, if the
>space could be used by Unix and DOS users alike.

This is indeed possible.  Simply find a UNIX box which supports Portable
Netware.  I know that there is a third party implementation of this for
HP-UX available from Canada.  I heard that the SCO version of portable
netware was delayed because Novell broke the agreement when they
realised that it would impact sales of their Netware/386.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug13.223710.7926@actrix.co.nz>, paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:

> This is indeed possible.  Simply find a UNIX box which supports Portable
> Netware.  I know that there is a third party implementation of this for
> HP-UX available from Canada.

There is also an implementation available for the DG AViiON from DG.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (08/15/90)

In article <241@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> wittmann@erb1.UUCP (art wittmann) writes:

>Depending on the type of Unix machines your running, you might be able to
>use portable netware.  I've only heard of a few successful ports, none were
>real popular Unix systems (from my point of view, which is to say none to
>Dec, HP or SUN).

There is a port of portable Netware for HP-UX for the HP9000 from :

Innovus Inc,
200 James St. S.
Suite 204
Hamilton, Ontario
CANADA
L8P 3A9
FAX: (416) 572-9586

>There's three possibilities (in the order that I would investigate them).
>Any by the way, what do you think about C++?

Love it.  I use the Zortech C++ 2.0 compiler.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (08/20/90)

In article <241@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> wittmann@erb1.UUCP (art wittmann) writes:

>Depending on the type of Unix machines your running, you might be able to
>use portable netware.  I've only heard of a few successful ports, none were
>real popular Unix systems (from my point of view, which is to say none to
>Dec, HP or SUN).

How about SCO UNIX?  Anybody?  Do you think that's acceptable, or would
you really prefer Dec, HP or SUN?  I would probably be allowed to do the
port if it was in any kind of demand...  Please e-mail, don't post.

--
Lyle                      Wang             lws@comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug20.003218.13497@comm.wang.com> lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>How about SCO UNIX?  Anybody?  Do you think that's acceptable, or would
>you really prefer Dec, HP or SUN?

SCO Unix - No. Why ? But generic system V/386 - yes. But I'm told Prime has
already done this, and their port to their own 386 was one of the first to
be finished. They were one of the first companies to get Portable netware.
On the other hand the market could need some competition.
( I personally would prefer a sparcstation, but I'm made that way )
Per
--
---
Per Andersson