[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Uncommpressing .tar.Z files

klinich@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (08/22/90)

Can anyone tell me how to uncompress a file with the extentions .tar.Z
In other words it looks like:

                         filename.tar.Z

I want to do this on a PC.  If I need decompression programs, where can I get
them.  I have access to ftp sites.

                                               Thanks in advance,
                                                      George
E-mail Address :klinich@ohstpy.mps.edu
                George Klinich
                Dept. of Physics
                Ohio State Univ.
                Columbus, OH 43210

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (08/22/90)

In article <8652.26d17d87@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu> klinich@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to uncompress a file with the extentions .tar.Z
>In other words it looks like:
>
>                         filename.tar.Z

If you have unix on your pc then you can use `uncompress' to uncompress
the file and then `tar' on the resulting file to unarchive it.

i.e.	uncompress filename.tar.Z	# the resulting file is filename.tar
	tar xvf filename.tar		# extract files from tar archive

If you have dos then you can get the dos versions of these programmes
from one of the msdos archive sites like wsmr-simtel20.army.mil or
wuarchive.wustl.edu.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy