[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] error message when booting my computer

ghee@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Ghee Keong Lim) (08/15/90)

Yesterday, when I tried to boot my ps/2 model 30, which has a 20
megabyte harddisk, I kept receiving this message:
        01024 KB OK
           163
 and then function keys 1 to 10 appears on the bottom of the
screen, and the F1 key was blinking all the time.
Does anybody knows what is the problem with my computer and
how to fix it? (Please pardon me for my ignorance.)

In addition, when I use the chkdsk function to check my harddisk,
the following message appears:
	2 lost allocation units found in 2 chains
        Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)?
What does this means???

Please help me.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :)

bank@lea.ncsu.edu (Dave The DM) (08/16/90)

In article <9011@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> ghee@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Ghee Keong Lim) writes:
>Yesterday, when I tried to boot my ps/2 model 30, which has a 20
>megabyte harddisk, I kept receiving this message:
>        01024 KB OK
>           163
> and then function keys 1 to 10 appears on the bottom of the
>screen, and the F1 key was blinking all the time.
>Does anybody knows what is the problem with my computer and
>how to fix it? (Please pardon me for my ignorance.)
>
>In addition, when I use the chkdsk function to check my harddisk,
>the following message appears:
>	2 lost allocation units found in 2 chains
>        Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)?
>What does this means???
>
>Please help me.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :)

   OK, first the bootup problem. The "01024 KB OK" message means that
your computer has checked its RAM and everything is fine. Now the "163"
message indicates a problem within the system defaults that are recorded
on a chip inside the system unit. I would suggest taking out your
Reference Diskette (the copy of the one you got with the machine) and
running the automatic configuration. Also check the time and date
settings.

   If you do that and the problem persists, refer it to a qualified
microcomputer consultant/repair center.

   Now...to the "CHKDSK" question. Ever try reading the DOS manual??
"CHKDSK" is trying to tell you that it has found some space on your
hard drive that, according to the File Allocation Table, is allocated
to some files. However, it can't figure out which ones these are
supposedly allocated to. This can come about due to a variety of things,

such as turning off the computer before exiting to DOS, or sloppy
programs.

   You can instruct CHKDSK to fix this by giving it the "/F" paramter.
That is, by typing in "CHKDSK /F" at your DOS prompt. CHKDSK will
allocate those lost places to two (in this case) files: FILE0000.CHK
and FILE0001.CHK. You can look at them with something like TYPE to
decide what they are and if they're worth keeping. You'll find them,
by the way, in the root directory of the hard drive.

  In doing this, CHKDSK will ask if you really want to save the lost
allocation units to files. If you say no, it'll go ahead and repair
things, but you'll never get to find out what was in those lost
allocation units.

  Oh, one other thing. The function keys on the bottom with the F1
blinking is just the PS/2s cutesy way of asking you to press F1 so
it can continue (it wants you to acknowledge the error it is reporting.)
I don't know what was wrong with "Press F1 to continue" like the PC/AT
used to say.

                                    Dave the DM

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (Markus Fischer) (08/16/90)

In article <9011@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, ghee@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Ghee Keong Lim) writes:
> Yesterday, when I tried to boot my ps/2 model 30, which has a 20
> megabyte harddisk, I kept receiving this message:
>         01024 KB OK
>            163

On AT class machines, the error 163 is "Time and date not set-(Run SETUP)";
unless they changed everything on ps/2, this could be the problem.  Anyways,
the internal start-up routine complains about something.

>  and then function keys 1 to 10 appears on the bottom of the
> screen, and the F1 key was blinking all the time.

Again, don't know about ps/2's, but this looks very much like the resident
BASIC that is run from BIOS on AT's.  (When you say that the function keys
appear on the bottom of the screen, you certainly mean to say that a *menu*
is displayed, right?)  This happens when the computer can't find a bootable
disk...

You should try booting from the SETUP disk (DIAGNOSTIC, or whatever it's
called), that came with the computer.

> Does anybody knows what is the problem with my computer and
> how to fix it? (Please pardon me for my ignorance.)
>
> In addition, when I use the chkdsk function to check my harddisk,

Does this mean you boot from diskette, or do you have a way aroud the
"blinking F1" situation?

> the following message appears:
> 	2 lost allocation units found in 2 chains
>         Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)?
> What does this means???

Here at least I can answer with some confidence:  For some reason (usually
an "illigal"  exit of a program), the FAT (file allocation table) does not
agree with the directory information any more.  Specifically, this means that
the FAT has tagged two "allocation units" (clusters) as being in use by a
file, but when CHKDSK scans all directory information, it doesn't find any
directory entry (or any file, if you like) pointing to that "allocation unit".

In the present situation, this is exactly as if you had two "bad clusters" on
your disk, i.e. you can't read the data stored there, nor can you use the
space for another file.  CHKDSK can easily recover from this problem, when
you run it with the "/F" switch.  Basically, there are two solutions: (1)
modify the FAT to free the space for later use, or (2) create a file pointing
to that "allocation unit".  This is the meaning of  the "Convert ... (Y/N)"
prompt.  The files you might want to create (to inspect the content) will
be placed in root directory, and named "FILE####.CHK" (#### starting at 0000).

> Please help me.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hope this helps some

Markus Fischer                -|--|--|--|--|--|--I   Department of Anthropology
                        -|--|--|--|--|--|--|-(#)-I   University of Geneva
      -|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|-(#)-|-(#)(#)(_)-I   CH-1227  Carouge (GE)
   -&-(_)-|--|--|-(#)-&--|-(#)(#)(_)(#)-&-(_)(#)-I   Switzerland
            -|--|--|--|--|-(#)(_)-|-(_)(_)(_)(#)-I
black (#) to kill ! --|--|-(#)(_)(_)(_)(#)(#)(_)(_)  fisher@sc2a.unige.ch
=+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+=(#)=+   fisher@cgeuge52.bitnet

martyz@groucho (08/18/90)

In article <9011@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> ghee@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Ghee Keong Lim) writes:
>Yesterday, when I tried to boot my ps/2 model 30, which has a 20
>megabyte harddisk, I kept receiving this message:
>        01024 KB OK
>           163

I think the 163 just means that your system lost the time & date.  You will
need to reset them with the startup disk.  The message from CHKDSK probably
indicates that some files were improperly closed on your hard-disk (like
when you turn the power off without exiting an application to DOS).  Just
let CHKDSK clean-up the mess and you should be fine.

--
Marty Zimmerman
Computer Services

webb@bass.tcspa.ibm.com (Bill Webb) (08/23/90)

->   Oh, one other thing. The function keys on the bottom with the F1
-> blinking is just the PS/2s cutesy way of asking you to press F1 so
-> it can continue (it wants you to acknowledge the error it is reporting.)
-> I don't know what was wrong with "Press F1 to continue" like the PC/AT
-> used to say.
->
->                                     Dave the DM

I think that the reason that the PS/2 doesn't say (in English)
"Press F1 to continue" is that not all customers who buy the PS/2 speak
english. Thus it is better to give a picture than to say something that
the customer may not understand. Other parts of the system (like the
reference diskette) can be customized to the language of the user, but
it is hard to produce a lot of different ROM's with messages in
different languages.

The above views are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.
Bill Webb (IBM AWD Palo Alto), (415) 855-4457.
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmsupt!webb