[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Statistics Package?

jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (08/22/90)

I need to specify a statistics package.  It's not clear exactly what we need --
and it doesn't help that no one here has a good background in statistics.
The immediate application is to take test results from several different
sampling methods and see which ones correlate the best, but I can foresee a
continuing need for all kinds of things, requiring some flexibility.  I *know*
PC Magazine ran a survey of statistics packages not too long ago, but my
magazines are in such a state of chaos it would take me weeks to find it.
Does anybody have the issue number handy?

Any recommendations or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated; I realize
the information I've given above is hopelessly vague.  We probably won't know
exactly what we'll need until we get a package and start playing.  We
definitely some graphing capability in addition to statistics functions.

E-mail preferred, but posted responses are fine too.
--
Jim Rosenberg             #include <disclaimer.h>      --cgh!amanue!oglvee!jr
Oglevee Computer Systems                                        /      /

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (08/23/90)

In article <595@oglvee.UUCP> jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>I need to specify a statistics package.  It's not clear exactly what we need --
:
>Any recommendations or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated; I realize

There is a list of PD and shareware statistics packages
pdswstat.zip.  The list is available by anonymous ftp from
chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland, directory /pc/pd2.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (08/23/90)

In article <595@oglvee.UUCP>, jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> I need to specify a statistics package.  It's not clear exactly what we need --
> and it doesn't help that no one here has a good background in statistics.
> The immediate application is to take test results from several different
> sampling methods and see which ones correlate the best, but I can foresee a
> continuing need for all kinds of things, requiring some flexibility.  I *know*
> PC Magazine ran a survey of statistics packages not too long ago, but my
> magazines are in such a state of chaos it would take me weeks to find it.
> Does anybody have the issue number handy?
>
> Any recommendations or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated; I realize
> the information I've given above is hopelessly vague.  We probably won't know
> exactly what we'll need until we get a package and start playing.  We
> definitely some graphing capability in addition to statistics functions.

Don't take this unkindly, Jim, but let me change the wording of your post
slightly and I'm sure you'll get the point...

I need a [computer system].  It's not clear exactly what we need--
and it doesn't help that no one here has a good background in [computing].
The immediate application is to [do number-type stuff], but I can foresee a
continuing need for all kinds of things, requiring some flexibility.  I *know*
PC Magazine [runs surveys of computer systems and programmes], but my
magazines are in such a state of chaos it would take me weeks to find it.
Does anybody have the issue number handy?

Any recommendations or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated; I realize
the information I've given above is hopelessly vague.  We probably won't know
exactly what we'll need until we get a [computer system] and start playing.  We
definitely want some graphing capability in addition to [arithmetic] functions.

---------------------------
GET A' EXPERT!!!...any grad student from a relevant discipline would jump
at the chance, and they come cheap--or at least I did.  (Or fly *me* down
there.)

John Garland

jgarland@mun              Bitnet
jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca  Internet

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (08/23/90)

In article <595@oglvee.UUCP>, jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> I need to specify a statistics package.  It's not clear exactly what we need --
> and it doesn't help that no one here has a good background in statistics.
> The immediate application is to take test results from several different
> sampling methods and see which ones correlate the best, but I can foresee a
> continuing need for all kinds of things, requiring some flexibility.  I *know*
> PC Magazine ran a survey of statistics packages not too long ago, but my
> magazines are in such a state of chaos it would take me weeks to find it.
> Does anybody have the issue number handy?
>
> Any recommendations or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated; I realize
> the information I've given above is hopelessly vague.  We probably won't know
> exactly what we'll need until we get a package and start playing.  We
> definitely some graphing capability in addition to statistics functions.

I'll bet any money your business files contain the following letter:

Dear Jim--

I need a [computer system].  It's not clear exactly what we need--
and it doesn't help that no one here has a good background in [computing].
The immediate application is to [help us do arithmetic on our books],
but I can foresee a continuing need for all kinds of things, requiring some
flexibility.  I *know* PC Magazine [ran surveys of computer systems and
software] not too long ago, but my magazines are in such a state of chaos it
would take me weeks to find it.  Does anybody have the issue number handy?

Any recommendations or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated; I realize
the information I've given above is hopelessly vague.  We probably won't know
exactly what we'll need until we get a [computer system] and start playing.  We
definitely want some graphing capability in addition to [arithmetic] functions.

Joe

And your reply was [or should have been] something like:

Dear Joe,

GET A' EXPERT!!!  There's any number of advanced graduate students who'll do a
a dandy job for you--and you can get them fairly cheap.  (Or send a plane ticket
and retainer to me, but you'll find me more expensive!)

Jim

I suggest that you take your own advice...it's lots cheaper in the
long run.