[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] EISA Peripherals: Information Wanted!

tom@tandon.UUCP (Tom Friel) (08/22/90)

Sorry to post this to the entire world, but there are activities involving
EISA bus peripherals going on everywhere.  I have yet to see any discussions
on the net regarding EISA boards.  (Perhaps this means users don't yet
care? :-)  ).

This note is a call to the net to post (or mail direct to me for followup)
and relevant information on EISA cards, such as performance, configuration,
required software support, and cost.

Here at Tandon (we have a 486 w/EISA), we have seen (in alphabetical order):

	Adaptec 1740 EISA SCSI Host Adapter
	Allways      EISA SCSI Host Adapter
	Bus Tech     EISA SCSI Host Adapter
	DPT	     EISA SCSI Host Adapter
	Interphase   EISA SCSI Host Adapter
	Mylex DCE376 EISA SCSI Host Adapter
	Mylex        Ethernet Adapter
	Torus        Ethernet Adapter
	Interlan     Ethernet Adapter
	Mylex        Video Adapter

I also saw some prototype peripherals shown by Olivetti and Uniforum last
January.  To my (limited knowledge), Olivetti is the only non-USA company
that offers EISA peripherals.

In addition, I would like to know what SCO, Interactive, AT&T, Intel,
Everex, and other Unix manufacturers are contemplating for EISA.  What I
know to date is that SCO intends to offer add-in option diskettes to basic
SCO Unix to enable >16MB memory addressing, and perhaps is working with
some of the above vendors.

Thanks in advance to the net.

--
Tom Friel      | Tandon Computer Corporation           |   (805)  |
tom@quad1.UUCP | 609 Science Drive Moorpark, CA  93021 | 378-7881 |

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (08/23/90)

tom@tandon.UUCP (Tom Friel) writes:

>I also saw some prototype peripherals shown by Olivetti and Uniforum last
>January.  To my (limited knowledge), Olivetti is the only non-USA company
>that offers EISA peripherals.

Both Chase Research an Specialix offer EISA multiport adapters.
Both firms are UK based.
--
Pim Zandbergen                            domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                           uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) (08/23/90)

From article <13@tandon.UUCP>, by tom@tandon.UUCP (Tom Friel):
> Sorry to post this to the entire world, but there are activities involving
> EISA bus peripherals going on everywhere.  I have yet to see any discussions
> on the net regarding EISA boards.  (Perhaps this means users don't yet
> care? :-)  ).

Finally somebody is starting to talk about EISA!  I beleive that EISA will
be very important to UNIX users that have chosen to use an Intel based
system.  I am curious if there is much interest in EISA here on USENET?
If so, should we setup a mailling list, or leave it here in some news
group.  Please Email me your opinious, and if there is enough interest
in having a mailling list, I will setup the mail redirector/expander, and
post a message to the net at large.  Send all Email responses to:

howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org   -or- uunet!wb3ffv!postmaster

> Here at Tandon (we have a 486 w/EISA), we have seen (in alphabetical order):

So how about some interesting Information on the Tandon 486-EISA.   I contacted
Tandon about the machine, and was promised a return call which I NEVER
received from anybody...

> --
> Tom Friel      | Tandon Computer Corporation           |   (805)  |
> tom@quad1.UUCP | 609 Science Drive Moorpark, CA  93021 | 378-7881 |
> tom@quad.com   | Moorpark, CA  93021                   |__________|
> UUCP: ..psivax!quad1!tandon!tom ..psivax!quad1!tom

Internet  : howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Advanced Business Solutions
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	210 E. Lombard St - Suite 410
Telephone : (301)-576-8635		|	Baltimore, MD  21202

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (08/24/90)

In article <13@tandon.UUCP> tom@tandon.UUCP (Tom Friel) writes:
>Sorry to post this to the entire world, but there are activities involving
>EISA bus peripherals going on everywhere.  I have yet to see any discussions
>on the net regarding EISA boards.  (Perhaps this means users don't yet
>care? :-)  ).

I care, we just bought a SystemPro and would love to see discussion on
EISA.

>In addition, I would like to know what SCO, Interactive, AT&T, Intel,
>Everex, and other Unix manufacturers are contemplating for EISA.  What I
>know to date is that SCO intends to offer add-in option diskettes to basic
>SCO Unix to enable >16MB memory addressing, and perhaps is working with
>some of the above vendors.

I do have drivers from SCO for the EISA drive array and the 525 MEG
tape unit.

Also, the release notes for 3.2.2 state that it supports 64M of main
memory.

I have not installed so can't say more, but will later.

Bart
--
uucp: holston!barton