[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Program to reduce size of EXE files?

favorini-francis@CS.YALE.EDU (Francis Favorini) (08/22/90)

Hi,
	A while back I was reading PC Week, or some such magazine, and I saw
a description of a program (shareware/freeware I think) that could greatly
reduce the size of EXE files by removing (unspecified) redundant or superfluous
information.  Does anyone know what this program is called and where I might
find it.  E-mail responses are preferred to posting, as I don't read this group
often enough.

					Thanks,
						Francis

favorini@cs.yale.edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (08/23/90)

In article <25865@cs.yale.edu> favorini-francis@CS.YALE.EDU (Francis Favorini) writes:
>	A while back I was reading PC Week, or some such magazine, and I saw
>a description of a program (shareware/freeware I think) that could greatly
>reduce the size of EXE files by removing (unspecified) redundant or superfluous
>information.  Does anyone know what this program is called and where I might
>find it.  E-mail responses are preferred to posting, as I don't read this group
>often enough.

There is a program that compresses .exe files and expands for
execution thus greatly saving space.  It is called lzexe91, and it
is just being posted in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Furthermore it (and
many of the accompanying facilities) can be obtained by anonymous
ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland, 128.214.12.3.  There are
also programs to reduce the .exe by removing some superfluous code,
but the reduction is just marginal.  The Turbo Professional 5.0
package from TurboPower Software includes such a facility.

As to emailing.  I've always felt that if one is interested enough
to pose a question to a group, and expect an answer, one should show
reciprocal courtesy by reading the group properly.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

favorini-francis@cs.yale.edu (Francis Favorini) (08/24/90)

Thanks to all who responded!  The program is LZEXE and can be found at
SIMTEL20.

favorini@cs.yale.edu