[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Tape Drive to buy?

sastdr@unx.sas.com (Thomas David Rivers) (08/24/90)

   I'm looking to buy a tape drive for my '386 clone - is there any
 kind of "standard" out there - such that a driver written for tape system
 A will work on tape system B.  I'm including in the definition of "tape
 system" the controller, etc...  Stated simply, is tape system A hardware
 compatible with tape system B?

	- Dave Rivers -
--
|  Time sharing: The use of many | - Dave Rivers - SAS Institute, Cary NC |
|   people by the computer.      |         sastdr@sas.com          (work) |

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (08/25/90)

sastdr@unx.sas.com (Thomas David Rivers) writes:

>   I'm looking to buy a tape drive for my '386 clone - is there any
> kind of "standard" out there - such that a driver written for tape system
> A will work on tape system B.  I'm including in the definition of "tape
> system" the controller, etc...  Stated simply, is tape system A hardware
> compatible with tape system B?

We've standardized on the SY-TOS software from Sytron Corp.  I know it
works on both Archive Viper 150s and Wangtek 5150s.  Compaqs and Dells
use the Wangtek drives.  I bought Archive drives for an Everex and a
Dolch.  We have successfully swapped tapes amongst the various drives
and machines.

I'm not real happy with SY-TOS.  I've found bugs.  I also HATE their
support policies.  They insist that you sign a license agreement and
return it before they even let you know what their support number is.  I
work in a government lab and it takes months to get a signature.  I've
only tried once.  For the other 15, I just write a note that I can't get
our lawyers to sign it.  I've NEVER heard back on any of those.   Some
of those were two years ago.  I also have never talked to them the day I
wanted them.  They close real early (I'm Mountain time) and I always have
to leave a message.

But, it does usually work and allows us to swap tapes between systems.
I'll probably stick with them until I hear of a better device
independent tape program.  Maybe they'll come to their senses.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014