[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Unix "tar" utility for a PC

andrsonj@motcid.UUCP (John Anderson) (08/24/90)

Does anyone know where I can get a version of the Unix utility "tar"
that runs on a PC under DOS ?

--

Motorola, Inc.                                      John D. Anderson
Cellular Infrastructure Division                    ..!uunet!motcid!andrsonj

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/24/90)

In article <4486@buff7.UUCP> andrsonj@motcid.UUCP (John Anderson) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can get a version of the Unix utility "tar"
>that runs on a PC under DOS ?

Two possibilities:

(a)  The latest version of the MKS Toolkit includes a version of tar
     for MSDOS;

(b)  ktar from me.

I have both and use the latter primarily.  ktar is an extensive (90%)
rewriting of an early version of GNUtar.  Aside from standard tar
options ktar offers:

-  an estimate of the number of disks needed;

-  the ability to read/write XENIX tar disks under **DOS;

-  **DOS <==> **IX name and time conversion;

-  the ability to use either named files or raw devices under **DOS;

-  path pruning (skip the first n elements in file names);

-  etc.

Currently ktar is available in SUN 4.3 BSD and **DOS versions (source
code if you want).  A XENIX version will come if and when I fix my
XENIX box.  Source code and documentation can be mailed.  The **DOS
version compiles under Turbo C 2.0.  There is no charge for ktar.

wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) (08/25/90)

From article <4486@buff7.UUCP>, by andrsonj@motcid.UUCP (John Anderson):

> Does anyone know where I can get a version of the Unix utility "tar"
> that runs on a PC under DOS ?

This program was just posted on the ibm pc binaries news group.  It
works like a charm!

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........               | The RoleMancer
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)